Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Paper Tuning:  Means to an End? >

Paper Tuning: Means to an End?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Paper Tuning: Means to an End?

Old 03-05-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Paper Tuning: Means to an End?

I was at the range again this morning. One of the local "big dog" shooters was out there shooting his Bowtech. It is amazing to watch someone shoot, with near mechanical repeatablility, 1.5" to 2" groups at 40 yards. He was talking about the fact that he put a lot of time into tuning varous aspects of this bow to shoot good groups at distance with those arrows; and had never really messed much with paper tuning. Later he was shooting at closer distances and the "walk back" appeared to be perfect as well.

Meanwhile, I was doing a little paper tuning a couple of lanes to the left. He wandered overand wound up shooting a couple arrows through the paper at 10'. The hole the arrow made in the paper showed a shaft tear 1/2" high and a little left of the center of the fletching tears. Based on the tear, I would suppose one would want to move the nock up a little and maybe move the rest slightly as well.But as good as this bow shoots, I'm not sure I would change anything. And I guarantee he isn't going to rock the boat on the current state of tuneeither. Is thisheresy to you tuning gurus?
Old 03-05-2007, 02:46 PM

Default RE: Paper Tuning: Means to an End?

My opinion is this. I have shot bows that I had not yet paper tuned that shot great groups w/ field points. Add a broadhead and watch out down range. If the tear is that bad he'll have to tune more at that point.
With today's bows, shooting an untuned set-up will still group fine because the bow shoots the arrow the same way each time. He'll figure it out when he adds broadheads.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

You will find this ALOT with target shooters,they spend their time shooting,not tuning.

That is actually one of the preferred tears for many target shooters and I have shot very well with that exact tear.The basic idea behind it that the arrow is coming off going in the same direction everytime.Therefore,a little wind or bobble will not change the way the arrow kicks,making it more consistant with field points.

On the otherhand,when I learned how to fine tune my bow,and tune it to me,I get a perfect tear most of the time and it has become my most forgiving setup.Perfect spine adds so much to a setup and when I group tune,the tear is just good,I am not going to "detune" to get thatlittle tear.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:15 PM

Yep like TFOX said, many target archers specifically try for a tear that is a little off. This forces the fletchings to work faster suposedly.

I know some guys that shoot great groups at 100 yards or more and they don't waste that much time at all tuning. They concentrate more on perfect form and release and worry less about equipment.

Paul
Old 03-05-2007, 05:49 PM

Thanks, guys. This gets a little more interesting all the time . . . . .
Old 03-06-2007, 05:05 AM

Target shooter vs Hunter

Tuning field tips vs broadheads

Apples vs oranges
Old 03-06-2007, 11:20 AM

I know this guy hunts as well. The local archery shop says he has a big collection of bows. I kinda got the impression, without him saying it in so many words, that he only shoots broadheads (regular blades and practice blades) out of the hunting bow; and tunes them to shoot good groups with the broadhead arrows much the same way as he has tuned the target bow to shoot field points. Doesn't believe in paper tuning. Actually, the local archery shop owner doesn't have much good to say about paper tuning either.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:40 AM

Can someone explain the paper tuning thing for me? I understand the ideas and concepts, but I want to know about what specific tears could mean and how do I correct for them. I haven't got heavily into the tuning portion of shooting yet.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: burbaust99

Can someone explain the paper tuning thing for me? I understand the ideas and concepts, but I want to know about what specific tears could mean and how do I correct for them. I haven't got heavily into the tuning portion of shooting yet.
Download the Tuning Guide from www.eastonarchery.com. This will guide you right through paper tuning, bare shaft tuning and several others methods, including tuning for broadheads. Much easier and in more detail than any of us can write in a day.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:11 PM

What I know about it I got from Easton's website - arrow tuning and maintenance guide pdf download. It's 32 pages - kinda takes you through, step by step, how to set up and tune a bow. I'm sure others on this board have a lot more experience and knowledge to share.

Quick Reply: Paper Tuning: Means to an End?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.