Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Peep sight? Should I use one or not? >

Peep sight? Should I use one or not?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Peep sight? Should I use one or not?

Old 02-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Peep sight? Should I use one or not?

Myself, I've never used one, I use a kisser button, I consider my self an above average shot. Hunting mainly and a little out door 3-D.But hey try one you might like it.. can't hurt.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

I am probably odd, but I love my peeps. I hated them when I first started hunting a long time ago because of the tubing, the twisting, etc. But, one thing caused all of that to go away and I've never looked back since; high quality strings. I don't use tubing anymore because I simply don't need it. As for them falling out or moving, properly tying/serving them in has prevented that from happening to me. I've tried no-peeps, kissers and nothing, but, for me, there is nothing like a peep. My eyes are still good enough that if there is not enough light, then it would be too dark for a shot irregardless.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to ask since I'm new tothis business. For those of you who don't use a peep, how do you do it? Is it just using a kisser or perfecting your anchorpoint and still using a sight pin, or are you not using sights either and shooting like you would shoot a recurve?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

I use a kisser in the corner of my mouth, put the string on my nose, and I have a spot on my face my hand goes, three points works great for me always the same..and I do use pin sights., Carter Chocolate addiction release, D-loop, I don't see as good as I used to, a peep wouldn't work for me.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glockman,
If I thought I could do that and hit decently at 30 yards and less, I'd switch now while I'm still in the learning phase. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm just guessing, butwouldn't you also be able to get a shot off faster since you eliminate the step of having locate the correct pin through the peep and center it?
Old 03-01-2007, 04:34 AM

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Glockman,
If I thought I could do that and hit decently at 30 yards and less, I'd switch now while I'm still in the learning phase. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm just guessing, butwouldn't you also be able to get a shot off faster since you eliminate the step of having locate the correct pin through the peep and center it?
Actually, that is one of the big advantages of not using a peep. I shoot 3-D all summer long and there's group of us who are strictly hunters and shoot pure hunting set-ups without peeps when shooting 3-D. We tend to shoot together and we'll shoot a 3-D course in about 1/3 the time it takes a group of peep-shooters to finish. In the winter, when shooting indoor targets - same thing. We're always standing around on the line waiting for the guys with peeps to finish their end.

Sights don't slow your shooting too much, but mechanical releases tend to. So, if you want to be able to get shots off real quick, use a peep-less bow and fingers for your release - if you can find a compound bow long enough to do it comfortably.

There are many lost shot opportunities because it comes and goes so quickly. I don't think most hunters even consider them as lost opportunities. Unless an animal is in view for at least 10 seconds, they wouldn't think they ever had a chance. On the other hand, if you shoot a primitive bow setup, you'll find out just how quickly you can draw and shoot with the right equipment. You'll then look at the other senerio differently.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Glockman,
Actually, that is one of the big advantages of not using a peep. I shoot 3-D all summer long and there's group of us who are strictly hunters and shoot pure hunting set-ups without peeps when shooting 3-D. We tend to shoot together and we'll shoot a 3-D course in about 1/3 the time it takes a group of peep-shooters to finish. In the winter, when shooting indoor targets - same thing. We're always standing around on the line waiting for the guys with peeps to finish their end.

Sights don't slow your shooting too much, but mechanical releases tend to. So, if you want to be able to get shots off real quick, use a peep-less bow and fingers for your release - if you can find a compound bow long enough to do it comfortably.

There are many lost shot opportunities because it comes and goes so quickly. I don't think most hunters even consider them as lost opportunities. Unless an animal is in view for at least 10 seconds, they wouldn't think they ever had a chance. On the other hand, if you shoot a primitive bow setup, you'll find out just how quickly you can draw and shoot with the right equipment. You'll then look at the other senerio differently.
I agree. But I can't shoot worth a darn with fingers, never could. The release I use can be attachted to the string in ready mode. The rest of my shooting form, I can do itwith my eyes closed. No Peep for me.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find that for target practice or 3d I don't need a peep. I can honestly shoot just as well without one. But when I'm hanging out of a tree in awkward positions, it's real easy to change your anchor point without even knowing it. That's where a peep sight helps IMO.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

im still confused on how you really shoot without a peep? didnt really know that was possiable.. wouldnt your left an right be way off? im REALLY interested in this. i think id love it without one!
Old 03-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't have one now, try shooting and evaluate the results. If you're on target to your satisfaction, you don't need one.

On the other hand, if you feel you need help with the aim, put one in.

I use one. I find it helpful when shootingfrom odd positions since I don't shoot from a stand.

Quick Reply: Peep sight? Should I use one or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.