Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Is going from 100 to 125 gr bad for arrow flight? >

Is going from 100 to 125 gr bad for arrow flight?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Is going from 100 to 125 gr bad for arrow flight?

Old 01-16-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Is going from 100 to 125 gr bad for arrow flight?

I was shooting CX maxima 250's that with a 100 gr broadheadonly weighed around 320 total. Through some reading here on the forums I found that a hunting arrow should not be less than 400 gr. Well, in trying to get to that number I've switched to heavier CX terminator lite's that now weigh 366 totalwith a 100 gr BH. I asked the guy at the proshop if it would be ok if I went with a heavierBH and although he didn't have time to really get into it, he said it's fine unless I over do it.

Problem is, I don't know at what weight I would be "over doing it". So my question is, would putting 25 extra grains on the front of my arrow have detrimental affects on arrow flight or produce other problems such as imbalance? The arrow itself was cut to 28 inches if that helps your diagnosis any. Draw weight on my Hoytis 60# and drawlength is 27". Also, the physical end of the carbon arrow without a BH attached protrudes 3 inches passed my rest at full draw.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:02 PM

Default RE: Is going from 100 to 125 gr bad for arrow flight?

No, it will not NEGATIVELY affect arrow flight. It will, however, increase your FOC (front of center) and your overall arrow weight. Personally, I don't buy into the 400 gr. minimum weight for hunting, but that's a story for another day.

You are going to lose about 5 fps, but you momentum and KE will both increase slightly. Generally speaking, a higher FOC is a good thing as the arrow stabilizes easier w/ broadheads attached.

An object will always fly heavy end forward. If the back (nock end) of your arrow is too close in weight to the front end of your arrow, or in other words, the closer to the exact center of your arrow the balance point is, the arrow will have to fight the need to flip over. Try throwing your arrow nock end forward....it will flip over and fly field point forward....You can, however, make your FOC too high and the arrow will want to "nose dive."
Old 01-16-2007, 07:45 PM

It's not bad for flight but I wouldn't switch. I am perfectly happy with my 100's.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only time it will negatively affect arrow flight is when you are already a little weak on spine.The heavier point will will change the dynamic spine of your arrow,making it weaker and then the arrow will fly much worse.25 grains USUALLY won't make that much of a difference.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:09 PM

I have questions before I can give answers.

Is your bow 60 lbs peak weight measured on a scale, or what the limbs say? If not have it measured at a shop and let me know what it is.

Is your draw length really 27 inches, or just what the cams say it should be? If you haven't already done it measure it for me. The shop should be able to do it, if not you can do a search on how to do it or ask and I can explain it for you.

What kind of bow do you shoot (year, model, type of cam/s) and what kind of rest are using?

What size arrows are you currently using? I need a number designation, you said you were shooting 250's, what size did you switch to? What type of fletching do they have? I would guess 4 inch vanes, if not let me know.

It would really help to know how fast your bow will shoot a specific weight arrow. Doesn't matter what one, just how fast and how much it weighed. If you can go back to the shop and shoot three of the heavier arrows over a chronograph, then have them weigh one for you and give me the results.

It would also help to know what is on your string, Brass nock/srtring loop, type of peep sight and if you use a kisser button or not. Or anything else that may be on it.

Answer these questions and I can plug it into a program and let you know what spine you should be using and some other things.

I am also assuming you use a release, if not I need to know that as well.

Paul
Old 01-17-2007, 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I have questions before I can give answers.

Is your bow 60 lbs peak weight measured on a scale, or what the limbs say? If not have it measured at a shop and let me know what it is.
The bow says 60-70 on it. It is set to 60 lbs measured by the local proshop.

Is your draw length really 27 inches, or just what the cams say it should be? If you haven't already done it measure it for me. The shop should be able to do it, if not you can do a search on how to do it or ask and I can explain it for you.
The bow says 25.5- 28" on it. I believe thatthe bow is set at 27 becauseit is what the same shop mentionedabove who also happenedto be the shop that sold me the bow told me. I also vaguely remember looking up instructions on determining draw lengtha while backand if memory serves, I ama 27. You can however review the steps for determining DL with me ifit's not too much trouble. The instrustions I followed or my interpretation of them could've been wrong.

Other specs written on the bow: 52" string and a BC. of 37.5/40.25 (not sure what this is)

What kind of bow do you shoot (year, model, type of cam/s) and what kind of rest are using?
03 Hoyt Cybertec, cam 1/2, standard non-drop-awayQuicktune rest made by Nap

What size arrows are you currently using? I need a number designation, you said you were shooting 250's, what size did you switch to? What type of fletching do they have? I would guess 4 inch vanes, if not let me know.
Carbon Express TerminatorLite Select 4560 cutto 28" with 4 inch feathers

It would really help to know how fast your bow will shoot a specific weight arrow. Doesn't matter what one, just how fast and how much it weighed. If you can go back to the shop and shoot three of the heavier arrows over a chronograph, then have them weigh one for you and give me the results.
Previously with a 320gr total weight CX maxima 250 at the above mentioned specs, the bow shot 255fps. Currently with a 366gr total weight CX terminator lite select the bow shot 238fps. This tells me that for every 2.7 grains of weight added or subtracted, I'm gaining or losing 1 fps. If this mathematical pattern holds true and constant, my bow will shoot 225 fps with a 400 gr arrow. Does this fall in line with your numbers?

It would also help to know what is on your string, Brass nock/srtring loop, type of peep sight and if you use a kisser button or not. Or anything else that may be on it.
C-peep with tube, 2 brass nocks, 2 rubber S-shaped string silencers, 2 rubber stops that I nock the arrow in between, and also there are2 limb savers - one for each limb

I am also assuming you use a release, if not I need to know that as well.
Yes, I am using a "Tru Ball" wrist strapped index finger trigger release

Old 01-17-2007, 09:28 PM

One more thing I'm concerned about:

In trying to maintain as much weight as possible, I had the shop cut the arrows a little long. As I said in an earlier post, the physical end of the arrow without a BH attached sticks out 3 inches passed my rest at full draw. Are there foreseeable issues with this?

Paul, thanks again for your responseand in advance for those forthcoming. Your questions are the type I hoped someone would ask. It is very much appreciated.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest downloading On Target from Pinwheel Software and using their arrow selection program. It will answer all of your questions...
Old 01-18-2007, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just get some and try them. It's not a huge difference either way unless your, like others have said, already on the extreme side of things like spine.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:00 AM

I actually started with 125 grain tips and went down to 100 grains. And when I moved to a lighter, faster bow I stuck with the 100 grain tips. I saw a pretty big difference going from 125 to 100. But I think that is because I changed arrow type at the same time. I went from Alum. with 125gr to Carbon with 100gr.

My father has been shooting bow since he was in his low teens and says that ever since he had the choice of a tip weight he has always used 100gr regardless of the arrow type.

I personally think it is all personal preference, just like deciding what Bow you will shoot. Shoot what feels right for you and everything else will work out.

Quick Reply: Is going from 100 to 125 gr bad for arrow flight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.