Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Doing your own fletching question??? >

Doing your own fletching question???

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Doing your own fletching question???

Old 01-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Doing your own fletching question???

For you guys who do your own fletchings.

1 After you pull fletched arrows out of the jig what do you do if part of the fletching is not attached good? Do you smear some more adheisve onto the area or take the whole thing off had start again?

2 Also how do you remove extra glue that has dried between your fletchings on your arrow shaft.

3 Also... When you put your fletchings into the clamps to you put them all the way in or leave alittle bit out of the clamp so the fletching can flex to better fit to the shaft?

I did about 5 practice arrows last night before I put my arrow wraps on and those are the issues that I ran into last night.

Sorry for all the questions... I am new at this
Old 01-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Doing your own fletching question???

1.Take it off and try it again becuase i dont think it will work good if you put some on it and do not take it off.

2. wipe it off befor it drys with a paper towel our a q tip is what i use.

3. i put mine all the way in.

this should work for you.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:04 AM

For you guys who do your own fletchings.

1 After you pull fletched arrows out of the jig what do you do if part of the fletching is not attached good? Do you smear some more adheisve onto the area or take the whole thing off had start again?
Depends on how much is not glued solid, if over half loose then pull it off and clean the shaft up very good and start over. I f less and the glue is still wet hand press it to the shaft for 2 minutes and it ought to stay glue tight. I also recommend a small spot of glue at the ends of the vanes to finish off you gluing.
2 Also how do you remove extra glue that has dried between your fletchings on your arrow shaft.
You really haveto take a knife to that. The ideal thing is to wipe it off with a paper towl or your wet figure tip before it drys.

3 Also... When you put your fletchings into the clamps to you put them all the way in or leave alittle bit out of the clamp so the fletching can flex to better fit to the shaft?
You wants to have a 1/4 inch to an 1/8 inch out of the clamp between the shaft to flex while rocking it back and forth getting the air out and glue to spread evenly on the shaft.

I did about 5 practice arrows last night before I put my arrow wraps on and those are the issues that I ran into last night.

Sorry for all the questions... I am new at this

It fun. And it will take some practise to figure out some of the issues. Get creative with them that always some fun. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2007, 04:44 PM

1. I always try to redo it.....put some glue on it and put it back in the clamp....Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't......If not, just scrape it off and start over.

2. If you are talking about dried glue, don't worry about it. Just use caution as to how much glue you use....This is the part that takes practice, but when you get that figured out you won't have the excess glue to worry about.

3. Fletching has a base that is flat, obviously where the glue goes.....Insert the vane all the way to the base so....The base will lie flat on the bottom of the clamp, none of the vane should be exposed, save the base...

For glue removal, Saunders makes an EXCELLENT tool for this..I'm pretty sure it's simply named the Saunders Fletching removal tool....something to that effect....Bout 15 bucks.