Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 arrow trajectory >

arrow trajectory

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow trajectory

Old 11-12-2006, 06:39 AM

Default arrow trajectory

I currently have a bow that shoots about 260 fps. I am planning on getting an Allegiance so I expect my arrow speed to increase by at least 20 to 30 fps. I see the benefit by increasing arrow speed for 3D; the low 8s hopefully will become 10s. With this increase in speed if I judge a target as 33 yards and it is actually 30 yards will I shoot high or will the flatter trajectory help me out on that as well? I know the answer to this question is to practice judging yardage. Just want to know if the increase in speed is a benefit for both over estimating and under estimating yardage.

Thanks
Mike
Old 11-12-2006, 06:55 AM

Default RE: arrow trajectory

under estimating yardage.
by 3 yards yes still in the 10 by 5 off it's a 8 or line cutter.
over estimating same. anything over 5 off is tough ! remember faster is'nt more accurate your form will play a bigger part then anything else. more left & right misses with a faster bow at longer shots.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:01 PM

bubba we dont work at nasa. i dont have that problem i shoot a recurve
Old 11-13-2006, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DOPVFT

I know the answer to this question is to practice judging yardage. Just want to know if the increase in speed is a benefit for both over estimating and under estimating yardage.
Practice judging more yardage. [8D]

99% of even pros in 3D will not execute perfect shots all the time, but they do know the yardage numbers due to practicing judging yardage and that only. Spend as much time learning to pick the right numbers as you do shooting and you will see a true benefit there.

According to OnTarget2's simulation tab, an Allegiance at 260fps picking 33 yards on a 30 yard target will keep you well in the 10 ring anyhow on a bedded McKenzie buck at just a hair over 2.0" high. At 280fps, you are 1.68" high, there are VERY few shooters out there capable of seeing a 1/4" difference at 30-33 yards from arrow to arrow. A new bow is a cool toy and if you want one..........get it, but don't fool yourself into thinking it will improve your game unless you honestly feel you are shooting VERY strong shots and picking the right numbers.

I used to be a speed freak on my 3D bows. Last year the ASA brought a state championship shoot to my hometown and I decided to shoot, and had to slow my bow down 32 fps to compete. I honestly shot the highest scores in my life when I slowed it down. I took the time to learn the yardage because I was worried that losing the speed would affect my scores, so I worked on picking the right numbers and learning yardage and that is what improved my game.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I took the time to learn the yardage because I was worried that losing the speed would affect my scores, so I worked on picking the right numbers and learning yardage and that is what improved my game.
What!??! You mean ramping up your skill gave better results than ramping up your speed???? Amazing....
Old 11-13-2006, 11:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I took the time to learn the yardage because I was worried that losing the speed would affect my scores, so I worked on picking the right numbers and learning yardage and that is what improved my game.
What!??! You mean ramping up your skill gave better results than ramping up your speed???? Amazing....
That's a good one.