Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 2x lens for hunting??? >

2x lens for hunting???

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

2x lens for hunting???

Old 04-20-2004, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default 2x lens for hunting???

Was thinking about trying a 2x lens for 3d this summer and was wondering what you guys think of them for hunting, whitetail and turkey???
Old 04-20-2004, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 2x lens for hunting???

Give it a try, you may like it, and then post your findings here!
Old 04-20-2004, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be curious, but I can see there could be a lot of potential problems. For one, what about rain and snow getting on the lens? Dirt, smudges etc? That, and through the course of a season, unless you kept it covered until ready to nock an arrow in your tree, scratches are inevitable.

I currently am playing with a 4X lens with my Extreme Sniper and found I need a clarifier lens in the peep to clear up the image. Again, dirt, rain, snow in the peep would be disastrous. I know I wont be using mine for hunting, just for 3D. Also, unless you have a sunshade, glare could be a problem with the different lighting situations you may encounter in the woods.

One other thing I could think of. Most hunting shots are in the neighborhood of 15-30 yards. Not really a need for it at those distances. You want to be able to see a "whole" deer in your sights to better align the shot IMO. Zooming in makes your pin move around a lot on target as you may have already found out.

Not trying to deflate your balloon, just the things I too thought about once I started playing with a lens in my hunting/3D sight.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:23 PM
Fork Horn

I hunted with a 2x lens on my Micro Matrix all last year.......I had Zero Problems......The Lens already has a coating so it works like rain-x....there is no problem with water......The coating is also Anti-glare......never had a problem there either.....its is amazingly scratch resistant as well........If wouldnt recomend 4x for hunting 2x is all you need....If you want to there is no reason not to.....I'm using a 4x for 3D right now...at first I thought I was going to need a clarifier...but my eye has gotten acustom to it....And it looks like I may not need one now.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:58 PM

hello I got the 4X the 2x really did'nt seem all that big A deal for the $ I got the 4. seemed more practical for me. more of A all around lens I would think.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I personally would not hunt with a lens.....too much potential for bad things. If all comes together sure it can seem like the greatest thing especially at a bit longer range, but I shot one for 3D and there's too much to worry about.

Glare.......early morning and late low sunlight is unreal bad for glare on scope lenses. I have had targets in 3D that I simply could not see.....period. Especially if you are in bright light and the target is in low light. GOOD LUCK.

Many times a clarifier peep is necesssary to clear the image.....one drop of water in your clarifier? GOOD LUCK.

If you Do insist on hunting with a scope........2X might be too much power. An animal at 5-10 yards at 2 or 4X even in the best of lighting conditions can look like a solid brown blob. You have a hard time figuring exactly what you are aiming at. Bad lighting? GOOD LUCK.

In the last shooting light minutes.....if you thought a simple peep and fiber optic were tough? Wait til' you see a magnifying lens.

Ok throw all the worst conditions together.......low light, deer in the shadows, it's drizzling?
Or sun is setting in your face, deer is again in the shadows?

I'd drive myself paranoid hunting with a lens. Never happen.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the insight guys, maybe I will just get one for 3d only.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:38 AM
Spike

Default Hunting magnification

In the US most states are set that any magnification of the target on a bow is illegal. Great for target shooting and long distance fun though. Check you state laws first about going in the woods with it.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Dillon30
In the US most states are set that any magnification of the target on a bow is illegal. Great for target shooting and long distance fun though. Check you state laws first about going in the woods with it.
So... Glad you joined, but c'mon man... You dug up a 13yr old post to give partial information?

Saying "most states" implies to me a majority, meaning 26+.

Can you name states in which bowsight magnifying lenses are illegal?

SOME states prohibit magnified bow sights.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:23 PM
Spike

I'm going to buy a 2x for my HHA 5519. HHA also sells a sun shade that goes on after the 2x lens. so the lens is inside.

Quick Reply: 2x lens for hunting???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.