Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Removing Fletching glue >

Removing Fletching glue

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Removing Fletching glue

Old 06-27-2006, 06:43 AM
Spike

Default RE: Removing Fletching glue

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

This what I use; works awesome for removing fletchings and glue.
HCH
[/align]

I use the zip strip as well, and it works great. Just be careful as it is sharp, and will shave off carbon if you get to carried away. [>:]
Old 06-27-2006, 02:17 PM

Default RE: Removing Fletching glue

I don't think I would let the shaft soak in any solvent type stuff, a while back there was talk of the acetone breaking down the glue in the carbon shaft, which could cause a failure. I just use a utility knife and when it looks like I've scraped it all off, I wipe it down with some MEK. I don't soak the shaft, just wipe it off.

I fletched a bunch of arrows using arrow wraps for the first time last season, and had a couple fletchings come off practicing the other day. I was worried about getting the wrap off to refletch. WOW, it is 100 times easier to remove the wrap and fletchings then ones glued directly to the shaft, and I think a little MEK will take off the remaining glue that was left. I just used a utility knife to scrape it off. I like a really sharp blade, and change them often if I'm scraping arrows, I guess I can "feel" it beter when the blade is sharp and I can keep from getting down into the carbon.