Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Fletching: Offset vs. Helical >

Fletching: Offset vs. Helical

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching: Offset vs. Helical

Old 04-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fletching: Offset vs. Helical

The last year I have only had a straight fletch and I am wanting to do an offset / helical to improve accuracy. What are the advantages / dis-advantages of fletching an arrow with an offset vs. a helical. I am a right handed shooter and use a NAP drop away arrow rest, so I would fletch a right handed offset or helical...correct? What is the best over-all degree to fletch either style? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:16 AM

Default RE: Fletching: Offset vs. Helical

Helical fletching willgive your arrows more spin, thus more accurate groups. An offset fletch is better than a straight fletch, but a helical is better than an offset. The greater the helical the better, but you must be careful not to allow the fletching to hit the rest.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Isn't it true though that a helical will decrease the velocity of the arrow by a significant amount?
Old 04-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Slightly due to wind drag which is why it's better for arrow stability, is it significant or relevant....no and the advantages certainly out way the disadvantages.

And to your other question in your first post/thread starter, I'm a right handed shooter and us a left offset. Right/Left shouldn't matter unless you use matching offset/helical bladed broadheads. The direction of spin is not relevant.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

So it would be better to go with a helical instead of a off-set...correct? Is there a certain degree of helical that is "just about right"?? What is a good fletching jig that can accomplish this task as well?
Old 04-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

As stated above, helical will provide the most drag to the back of the arrow and will stabilize a broadhead better than just about anything else out there. That extra drag does not come without some compromose and that is long distance velocity. Out to abouit 35 yards or so, you will not be able to really tell the difference between offset and helical. Beyond 35, the helical will drop faster.

For the amount of helical, generally the clamp on your jig sets the amount and is not adjustable. For my helical fletches I also put on as much offset as I can and still keep the base of the fletch (feather or vane) in full contact with the arrow shaft. Let that be your guide as to when you have too much offset.

With respect to the jig, there are many good ones out there, but my personal favorite is a Bitzenberger. Somewhat pricey when compared to other jigs, but it is a joy to use.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

The direction of right/left helical is important to people who still shoot off their knuckles. Not many of them around though. One way will cut your finger/hand, the other way won't.

I prefer a helical with feathers, offset with vanes.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

NAP drop away arrow rest,

With a drop away fletching contact with your rest is no longer an issue the more helical the better. The spin that is created will improve accuracy with field points and be a very big help with broad heads. It’s just like the spin of a football the more spin the better. Be careful of your vane size 4" in most cases will do just fine. 5" will give greater twist but they are more apt to contact your riser. After you fletch your arrow spray them with aerosol foot powder. You will see at what point the rest looses contact with your arrow and if you’re fletching are hitting your strings or riser
Old 04-13-2006, 07:55 PM

I started using T-4 turbonocks with blazers and 4 degree right offset.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chupacabras

I started using T-4 turbonocks with blazers and 4 degree right offset.
I want to use Blazer vanes as well...what arrows are you putting the blazer vanes on? Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Fletching: Offset vs. Helical

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.