Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Arrow length related to Draw length >

Arrow length related to Draw length

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow length related to Draw length

Old 10-17-2002, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Arrow length related to Draw length

Ok, assume an amo 28" draw, and a rest in the normal spot (no overdraw), what is the shortest arrow you could use?

Old 10-17-2002, 11:30 AM

Default RE: Arrow length related to Draw length

Range,

That depends a little on the type of rest, because some rests come with a bit of built in overdraw. If you are shooting a Muzzy ZE you could probably shoot an arrow at least 2" shorter without any interferance from the shelf hitting a broadhead before it is picked to the upper position. Remember true drawlength and AMO are two different things. True drawlength is the distance from the nocking point to the deepest part of the grip on the front of the bow at full draw. To get the AMO length you add 1.75" to the true drawlength. It is likely with an AMO drawlength that you probably shoot around a 27" arrow with a standard rest.

Aim Hard!

Edited by - FLHunter on 10/17/2002 12:35:38
Old 10-17-2002, 08:03 PM

I haven't played with too many different kinds of bows, but I have heard and read that you want your arrow to extend 1" past the most forward part of your rest when you are at full draw. I'm pretty sure this is for safety's sake so that the arrow has no chance of being drawn back behind the rest.

Just for discussion, I have a MQ-32 @ 29" and shoot a 29" arrow that extends more than 1" past the rest. I could cut it down just a tad, maybe to 28.5" but it shoots fine the way it is.

Old 10-17-2002, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I draw 29" and shoot 29" arrows when hunting. This puts the broadhead just out in front of the riser. For 3D I use a 28" arrow. These are a softer spine with lighter points, resulting in a lighter arrow.

Phil.
"Could you guys be quiet, my dad's trying to shoot."