HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Regret the Whisker Bisquit (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/115950-regret-whisker-bisquit.html)

NY Bowhunter 10-08-2005 06:30 AM

Regret the Whisker Bisquit

So I made the change last week and put a WB on my bow. So far I am not overly excited about it. Granted it is convenient to have the arrow not bouncing around. But, what good is that if the fletching on your arrows have waves in them from shooting through the thing? My fletches are getting TORN UP!! Accuracy leaves something to be desired as well. I had remarkably tighter groups with my simple 2 prong rest. I like the idea of being able to manuever easier to draw on the deer, but I'm not confident to even take it in the woods.

Anyone have any light to shed on why my vanes are getting destroyed or why it seems to shoot a little wild?

Maybe I should've gone with something like a Muzzy Zero Effect drop away?

Straightarrow 10-08-2005 07:02 AM

RE: Regret the Whisker Bisquit

It will require tuning to get good groups. The hole in the biscuit may be too small. You can easily enlarge it if it is. You can even trim the back of the biscuit.The arrow should fit loosely in it. Wavy vanes won't hurt anything, but you can change to a more durable vane if you don't like it. I've never had a vane get torn through the WB, but I do know how to properly fletch one. I've shot many tens of thousands of shots through to WB since it first came out. I've used it on several bows and have never had anything but the best success with it. As a hunting rest, it is unequaled in my opinion. If you're a target shooter, you can get along with any type of rest.

Rick James 10-08-2005 07:08 AM

you need to get it tuned. It will shoot just as well as any other rest once tuned. Jimmy Despart (national pro indoor shooter for Martin) walked into a local shop and laid down a 450 - 42x vegas score with a bow equipped w/ a whisker biscuit, they are no less accurate than any other rest out there.

dangolbowhunter 10-08-2005 08:40 AM

NY- I tried the biscuit on my Switchback for all of 3 days. I then switched to a fall away style rest(Ultra-RestPro Series for $100)andI couldn't be any happier. I wanted a rest that was quiet andsecured the arrow inthe eventI layed the bow downor did a spot and stalk. Obviously, these are features you get with the biscuit, but I didn't like the sound of the vanes ripping through the biscuit or having to straighten out the vanes, which can be done with a blow dryer. With the ultra-rest there is zero contact with the arrow after being release,super quiet, very consistent,and a retainer bar to secure the arrow...what else could you ask for. IMO, this is one of the better rests on the market.

liquidorange 10-08-2005 10:14 AM

i experienced not so tight groups compared to my old 2 prong set up also . it was a tuning issue. i still cant get the biscuit to group as tight past 30 yards. as far as being a hunting rest with no moving parts its hard to beat. i loved and shot the muzzy zero- but it looks way to c0mplicated. im experimanting with the nap quicktune 360 after the season is over but i had initial problems with that too. it keeps me busy anyway:D

Arthur P 10-08-2005 10:36 AM

Trim the backside of the whiskers, enlarge the hole if needed, buy better quality vanes and be sure to put a drop of glue over the leading end of each vane to keep them from snagging in the whiskers.

Or, what I'd do, go with what you know works and put the prong rest back on the bow.

flyinfeathers 10-08-2005 07:40 PM

I use a WB and had the same problem with wrinkling vanes. I bought some Bohning Blazers and problem solved. Shoots tight and no sound.

5 shot 10-09-2005 06:12 AM

If you want to shoot the WB with good results you will need to use shorter stiffer fletch, like blazers or standard bohing vanes, tune your bow properly and be aware of the tuning problems that can come up. I have a full review and tips on my website for those interested. It's a good rest for hunting, but you can not just bolt it on and expect good results. Infact It acutally takes a bit more work to get it going well, but once you do your set.

CoachTroy 10-09-2005 08:07 AM

I shoot a WB on two bows. Accuracy is no problem at all. I switched to feathers yeas ago and they work the best through a bisquit. People tend to think you dont have to fine tune a WB. Go to the Carolina Archery site for more information on setting up and tuning the WB rest.

Snood Slapper 10-09-2005 08:37 AM

Don't get me wrong, the WB is revolutionary and it is a great hunting rest. I've used it a lot,but I find it not as accurate as a prong or drop away as well. However it can be tuned to where it is very close to as accurate and most guys find the advantage of the full containment a benefit that out weighs this slight variance in accuracy. The WB has to be tuned in a slightly different manner than other rests.You'll get your bestaccuracy out of it if you follow the tips listed on the CAP sight: http://www.carolinaarcheryprod.com/tuningtips.html

That being said, I am using a GWS drop away this year on one bow, and have a Savage Jewell grasshopper prong on the other. I keep my WB just in case I want to go back to it (which has happened). But right now I really like this cheapie GWS dropper.

As far as vanes go, the Blazers proved excellent through my WB, but just before I took it off I tried the Vane Tech V-Maxes and found I prefered them for various reasons. They, too, were excellent through the WB.