Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sighting my bow

Old 10-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Spike

Default Sighting my bow

i have been shooting my bow all day after brining it home from probass...i have just started grouping and i fell pretty good i pull alittle over 45 my first pin is good out to about 15 20 yards what should i put my 2nd and 3rd and how should i do it i was thinkin mabey 20 30 40
Old 10-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Spike

Most people go with a similar setup (20,30,40...). Depends on what you are going to do with your bow (targets or hunting or both).

For hunting, a single pin set for 25 yds. (hold a little under or over for closer or further targets) works well for a lot of people and there's no danger of using the wrong pin in the heat of the moment. works well out to 30-35 yds. which, at 45 lb., is probably further that you should be shooting.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by olfatguy
Most people go with a similar setup (20,30,40...). Depends on what you are going to do with your bow (targets or hunting or both).

For hunting, a single pin set for 25 yds. (hold a little under or over for closer or further targets) works well for a lot of people and there's no danger of using the wrong pin in the heat of the moment. works well out to 30-35 yds. which, at 45 lb., is probably further that you should be shooting.
I just got done shooting today my bow was alittle low at 20 yards i mesuerd with a yard stick im alttle confused on if i see a deer and its at 28 yards and my pins are only 20 30 and 35 what do i do
Old 10-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by olfatguy

and how do i know what yardage the deers at do i need a rangefinder or is there a way to tell?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BIGBUCKDOWN15
and how do i know what yardage the deers at do i need a rangefinder or is there a way to tell?
rangefinder helps, some may swear by them,
to estimate without it,
next time your practicing at 20 yds, count the paces to the target,
remember those paces at 20yds
when your in the field you can walk out from your spot that many paces and you have an estimate of whats around at 20 yds,
beyond that can estimate 25-30 etc..
if their is a trail your hoping the deer will come through measure the paces there,

as for how accurate your pin will be beyond what its set at,
depends on your setup,
guessing a 45# bow will have an larger arc than my 60# and will make a larger difference,
either you can set additional pins,
or you can practice with same pin setup at longer distance,
if you know 20 yd pin hits 3" low at 25 yds, well aim 3" higher
i would avoid using too many pins set at close distance,
like a 20-25-30 yds pins,
too close on the set can confuse you when looking through that peephole,
a 20 and 30 yd pin should be good,
Old 10-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Terasec
rangefinder helps, some may swear by them,
to estimate without it,
next time your practicing at 20 yds, count the paces to the target,
remember those paces at 20yds
when your in the field you can walk out from your spot that many paces and you have an estimate of whats around at 20 yds,
beyond that can estimate 25-30 etc..
if their is a trail your hoping the deer will come through measure the paces there,

as for how accurate your pin will be beyond what its set at,
depends on your setup,
guessing a 45# bow will have an larger arc than my 60# and will make a larger difference,
either you can set additional pins,
or you can practice with same pin setup at longer distance,
if you know 20 yd pin hits 3" low at 25 yds, well aim 3" higher
i would avoid using too many pins set at close distance,
like a 20-25-30 yds pins,
too close on the set can confuse you when looking through that peephole,
a 20 and 30 yd pin should be good,
Thanks yeah i whent today and im shooting 10 20 30 and ive got it sighted in im thinking about buying another pin and making it 10 20 25 30
Old 10-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

As for yardage in the field , I bought some orange ribbon, measured in a few different directions and tied a ribbon at 20, 30, and 40 yards. I did this in all of my shooting lanes. Hope this helps.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by not the dogs
As for yardage in the field , I bought some orange ribbon, measured in a few different directions and tied a ribbon at 20, 30, and 40 yards. I did this in all of my shooting lanes. Hope this helps.
Thanks great idea!
Old 11-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Resurrection time...

I go with 5 pins, 10-20-30-40-50..

If I'm unsure of the yardage to the animal, say is he 25 or 28?
I center the vitals, 20 pin high on the vitals, 30 pin low on the vitals.

With that said..
I've hunted the same properties for years, all ranges are known.
But on occasion I do hunt unfamiliar properties, if I have time I'll mark 30 yards before I climb.
If not I'll visualize 10 yards and go from there.