Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fred Bear Bow

Old 09-20-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Fred Bear Bow

Im looking into getting a Fred Bear Vapor 300 bow.
My draw length is about 28 inches, so im getting the 28-30 inches(im 14 so ill probably grow into it).
I shoot about 50 pounds consistently without tiring, and im probably gonna step it up to 55 by deer season. My problem is that this bow only goes up to 60 lbs, so im not sure if in time i will want a bow to go higher. I dont want to have this bow for just a year and then have to get a new none due to low draw weight.
One of the main things that i like about the bow, though, is the relatively short axle-axle length, fast shooting, and definately the price( I can get it for about 270 with shipping).
Should i just stick with this bow? Or does anybody else know of a relatively cheap bow that has a draw length from around 50 to like 65-70 lbs with a draw length from around 28 to 30-31?

Edit- Whoa i kind of messed up... i think this fits under reviews.. how can i move it?
Old 09-20-2005, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Fred Bear Bow

No, I would not necessarily say that it fits under reviews.

To answer your questions. All of the Fred Bear, Buckmaster and Jennings bows that use their perimeter weighted single cam allow you to adjust draw length over a very wide range via the use of individual draw length modules. The Jennings CMX, Strikemaster and CK 3.3 would be similar to the Vapor 300.

As for the draw weight....just about every Fred Bear, Buckmaster and Jennings bow I have worked on peaks at least 4 to 5 pounds over the listed peak weight. So, your 60 pound bow is likely to peak a few pounds higher than that. Regardless, I doubt you will need more than 60...especially to kill a deer. I have been hovering between 60 and 65 pounds on my hunting bows for the last year or two and I have no problem whatsoever getting good accuracy and penetration out of my bows.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:04 PM

I went ahead and got a buckmaster g2...new.
it should arrive on friday.
I got the 60-70 lb version, but the seller says that it can go back to 55 lbs.
The arrows i will be using are 2415's, these are good right? I mean the bow is much over 300 ibo.
And about needing over 60 lbs- i know people with stick bows that shoot deer with only around 150 ibo. I know women that use compound bows set at 45 not over 60 and get kills on deer. Unless it is your first time shooting a bow and you dont know the lungs from the liver or the heart in arrow placement, then the extra power might give you more of a chance. With these more modern bows,you could probably take a doe with as low as 40 lbs draw weight with good arrow placement(although i will most probably be using 55-60 lbs this year). Think about it- a few years ago bows were down to around 240-250 ibo, the standards for killing deer havent increased. They die just as easily.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback though, as your the only person that replied.

Im just really excited about my new bow!!
Old 09-21-2005, 01:07 AM

Glad you got a bow . Just remember trying to pull too many pounds can screw you up . You need to practice proper shooting form and hitting that tiny spot . Aim small miss small. Its not about poundage or speed its confidence in yourself and your shot. My daughter is 14 and shoots a PSE Nova set at 40 lbs she has taken several hogs and some of them over 200 pounds with no problem on penitration . So back the pounds down and get your bow comfortable so you can shoot alot and not get tired . Good luck to you from another Texas bow hunter.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Glad I could help. The G2 is a much nicer bow, in my opinion, than that Vapor 300 you were looking at. However, it is also a bit shorter so, as mentioned aboive, shooting form is going to be more critical. Definitely work on perfecting it.

Watch how far you back out the limbs too. Personally, I wouldn't go back more than 5 full turns off of peak set weight.

Good luck the new bow and congratulations.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:45 AM

I can comfortably shoot 55 lbs about anywhere from 20 to 40 times, depending on the day- then its starts getting hard. I got the 60-70 version so that i could grow into it and use it as the years go by. Also- are the 2415 arrows to big?
Thanks!
Old 09-21-2005, 07:00 AM

They should be fine but you may want to look into carbons . Personaly as I got to be a better shot way back before carbons were even out there I went through a lot of arrows from hitting them when I shot. Even a small bend one not even noticable can affect arrow flight greatly . but until that becomes a problem you should be ok. Remember generaly a heavier arrow is more stable hence more forgiving. Abow with too much poundage tends to lead to bad form. A great article is in Field and stream will give you great advice on form.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Spike

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I have a vapor 300. All the way down is 74lbs. Mine is set at 70. Speed is 307 with my 28" hunting arrow and 100 grain fieldtip. My draw length is 31.5". With some string playing I got full length on the draw. I bought the bow for the obvious reason of price but also to have a hunting bow that is short and simple. This bow is not very smooth on release. You must hold steady. Did I say it was fast. I shoot 1 fixed pin from under the tree out to 35 yrds. I really like this bow for hunting.3 years now on original string. I have taken many deer with it. you won't win any fashion contests but when target shootingmost can't believe the speed with has alot to do with my draw length.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:31 PM

60lbs is plenty. I have a Hoyt ZR200 Magnatec and just had it tuned to 65lbs. I don't think I am going to go higher than that. It is a good weight and speed, and you will get good penetration with 60. Plus you said that you can grow into the bow, so if you used it for the next 5 to 10 years and decied to get another, you can save it as a back up. I think it is a good price, and if you like it, go for it.