Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
neeing help fast boys!  1 week till season >

neeing help fast boys! 1 week till season

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

neeing help fast boys! 1 week till season

Old 09-22-2002, 07:43 PM

Default neeing help fast boys! 1 week till season

Was shootin today at my buddy's house and things were goin great. Shooting field points with vanes mind you.
So, with 1 week till season he suggested I fire a broadhead just for assurance that nothing had changed since last year.

Fired it and it looked like a dad gum Curt Schilling curve ball. THE THING PLANNED BIGG TIME! 100grain 3blade muzzy. I'm shootin probably about 65lbs with 27" draw carbon express 300.

Last year, I was shooting feathers with broadhead and had PERFECT flight. This year I switched to vanes and am achieving horrible flight.

So, what's my problem!? Please help. I reckon I'm just gonna have to go back to feathers.

Old 09-22-2002, 08:31 PM
Spike

Default RE: neeing help fast boys! 1 week till season

It sounds like your hitting your rest with the vanes.
If you are using a hunter rest that is.
The feathers are a lot more forgiving.
Check the clearence of the vanes thru the prongs for contact with some powder.

If after you are satisfied you have got good clearence and your arrows are not hitting where they are supposed to, back to the range. You might try the walk back method with the Broad-heads and get them tuned in a hurry and not worry with the field points hitting the same place at this time. I tried the walk-back method this year and it went surprisingly well. I was shooting at 20- 50 yds in about a Hour.

Good Luck

Good Shooting

Texas Bowhunter
Old 09-22-2002, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

There was a similar post on another hunting forum and this was my post hope it helps:I prefer bare shaft tuning to get my broadheads and field tip grouping here is a couple of good links to tell you how http://www.gomuzzy.com/tunebroadhead.htm On the Hoyt site after getting the page up click on compound bow manual then find the page on bare shaft tuning http://www.hoytusa.com/technical/index.html I have been shooting field tips all summer and yesturday got out the broadheads and found that all my broadheads where grouping low left of my field tips,after using the Hoyt manual I got my field tips and broadheads grouping at the same spot out to 30 yards in only a few tries.Good luck.Bill D>

Old 09-22-2002, 10:25 PM

bald

In case you did not know it, using vanes you added as high as 40 grns to the nock end of your shaft. Doing so has reduced the spine of your shaft and might have thrown the FOC out of balance.

Dump those vanes. Feathers are better and faster. I tried vanes last season. My bh's were flying horribly. I shoot 5" feathers and get terrific flight.

http://www.trueflightfeathers.com/facts.htm

Old 09-23-2002, 03:26 PM

Most broadhead flight problems are related to improper arrow spine (usually too weak), and many hunters aren't aware of it. There is nothing to indicate that you can still be spined incorrectly even if you followed the "shaft selection procedure" provided by the arrow manufacturer.

Fletchings with a lot of drag (feathers, for instance) can "mask" problems. You might get good flight (like you did last year), but you're actually treating the symptom rather than the problem.

The best way to check things out is bare shaft testing. Using field points only, shoot some fletched arrows and a few unfletched at the same target from about 10 yards. They should impact almost identically. If you can get them together out to about 20 yards or so, you'll be able to swap over to broadheads with little headache. Many people find that the bare shafts fly all over the place, meaning (more often than not) that they have a poorly spined arrow. You can make the arrow stiffer by dropping point weight (I wouldn't do that since you're already at 100), cutting them shorter (not always possible, cheap, and how much should you cut?), or by turning down the bow's weight.

There's one bit of misinformation in c903's post. Vanes DO add weight and can change the FOC (which the importance of is up for debate), but adding weight to the rear INCREASES the arrow spine (makes it act stiffer). Conversely, adding weight to the front decreases arrow spine, or makes it act weaker.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

Excellent post Cap!

Old 09-23-2002, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

All good post so far. Getting BH's and fieldpoints together can be a bugger. Most of it is attributed to either improper spine, or fletch contact. C903 makes a good point. You added weight to the rear of the arrow, which in turn weakened your spine a bit. Also, you changed the FOC of your setup. Most times, a little move of the rest can tune them up fairly easily.

Basically, you changed the charictoristic of the arrow in flight by adding weight. You should be able to tune that out by moving the rest.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the great help guys. My fletching isn't contacting my rest as I get true flight with field points.

I might try the bare shaft tune. THanks to all who have/will help
Old 09-23-2002, 09:16 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-24-2002, 04:20 PM

I'll have to check FOC. Can you give me anymore input on the FOC calculations? Spine isn't a problem and I'm not getting contact with anything. I shot 1 arrow with feathers and a broadhead and it flew perfectly true. I'll probably just go back to feathers.

thank you all.

Quick Reply: neeing help fast boys! 1 week till season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.