Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
What is it worth? 1936 Elk? >

What is it worth? 1936 Elk?

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

What is it worth? 1936 Elk?

Old 10-20-2017, 09:32 AM
Spike

Default What is it worth? 1936 Elk?

Greetings,
I'm new to hunting and the forum but look forward to learn and connect with other hunters in my area (SoCal). I'm starting my hunting education in January. So please excuse my lack of lingo and knowledge.

My parents in law would like to sell an Elk head. They had it forever, and it was left behind by the original owner of their cabin in Southern California. I can send you a link to photos via pm, I need to be more active before it lets me post URLs.

The tag says it's from 1936, Wyoming. The antler is around 35 in. wide. I thought of selling it on Craigslist but am not sure how much it's worth and if there are other, better places to sell it.

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2017, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mounts are worth very little to anyone who didn't take the animal. You can look on EBAY and see what they sell for. Unless it is a record book head it is worth maybe a couple hundred tops.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mounts from that era are not worth much. The taxidermy procedures back in 1936 do not hold a candle to those of today. In addition, it was common practice to use poisons like arsenic on specimens back then to kill insects that would attack the specimen. That poison can be transferred to people who handle the specimen. Honestly, I would not have a mount from the 30s in my home.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:15 PM
Spike

I see. How about the mounts that are offered for a couple of grands? Ours is a 6 x 6 and quite big.

Last edited by PatRuger; 10-20-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Mounts from that era are not worth much. The taxidermy procedures back in 1936 do not hold a candle to those of today. In addition, it was common practice to use poisons like arsenic on specimens back then to kill insects that would attack the specimen. That poison can be transferred to people who handle the specimen. Honestly, I would not have a mount from the 30s in my home.
Thank you that is really good to know.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

Like Flags and others have posted, most mounts are only valued by the hunter who shot them.

I ran into this about 17 years ago when I went through a very nasty divorce. It was only a division of property, but she drug it out for two years, and only the lawyers came out ahead. We each had to list all of our property with its value. She listed my elk and moose mounts that I had before we were married, with $15,000 and $12,000 values. She was hoping to get half of her listed value.

Both of those mounts were less than 20 years old. Both of those animals are big, and they scored just under the B&C book minimums. I discussed their values with my taxidermist, and we basically agreed that their re-sale values were approximately the cost of the taxidermy, which was less than $1,000 for each animal.

Ebay confirmed my values, as did other taxidermist's websites (like Jonas Bros) who sometimes have mounts that weren't picked up for sale.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah I have to agree, unless its of a certain CLOSE to record book size, they do not pull much value
places like Cabela's and or Bar, might be your best way to get rid of it

I personally have a Old mount, I got it off a close friend that shot it in the 40's, on there family farm, it was mounted on a big piece of hard wood, with a mirror and the fet as a gun rack, and there ius even a VERY old Color photo of him and his brother standing next to the deer, its about a 130 inch set of antlers on it
when the guy passed away his wife was going to throw it out, as she hated the thing LOL

I offered to take it, as he was a close friend of mine and it hangs in a 3 sided building I have now more or less outside ?
NO real money value to it, but does have sentimental value to me of sorts!
the pic' means more to me than the mount and that lives indoors !
here's a pic, and I even got the rifle used to shoot it with! LOL
Attached Thumbnails What is it worth? 1936 Elk?-johnnys-buck-001.jpg  

Last edited by mrbb; 10-21-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:34 AM
Spike

thank you all for sharing your stories!

I'll try to convince my mother in law to keep it. Also because it was in the cabin they inherited around 30 years ago and kinda belongs to it as the center piece of the living room. It's like you said mrbb, the memorable value is more worth than they would actually get for it at the end.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Mounts are worth very little to anyone who didn't take the animal. You can look on EBAY and see what they sell for. Unless it is a record book head it is worth maybe a couple hundred tops.

I agree. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Usually, the taxidermy work is horrible, so the only thing folks are buying are the antlers, which aren't really worth anything unless they are world class.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

go to Boone and Crockett website and learn how to score an elk....

rough score the elk...

if the antlers are semi big I think someone online might be interested in buying it.