Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Archery turkey beards >

Archery turkey beards

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Archery turkey beards

Old 05-29-2017, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Default Archery turkey beards

I usually use the shotgun shell to preserve the beard and spurs but am thinking about wrapping the end of the beard with thread and soaking the string in glue after wrapping to make it more permanent.

Any ideas what glue to use or do yall have better ideas? Again this was an archery kill and my first of many I hope lol

Thanks in advance
Old 05-31-2017, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting idea Kelly. How about the stuff the fishing pole makers use to cover the string that holds on the guides. I believe it's an elastic epoxy. Not sure what it's called.

Last edited by RPD63; 05-31-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

This is what I have so far. Still trying to decide if I want to keep with the string idea.

I checked into the rod building epoxy and although it will stay clear it takes 12 hrs just to set. Might be hard to keep it from running or dripping. The guys that build the rods keep them spinning to get a uniform coat.
Attached Thumbnails Archery turkey beards-archery-beard.jpg  
Old 06-06-2017, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

That looks good. Was that the bird you took it n Kansas?
Old 06-07-2017, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

Yea that was one of them. I tagged out with a bird each morning. My first 2 with a bow lol I'm drying the fan out as well. The wife gave me the go ahead to make a border of fans around my sons room (when he moves out) lol I would like to save up though and get one of each species full body mount. I have the Rio just need the rest. Kinda waiting for the right birds. Although if I make it to Florida it may be just a one time shot at it.