Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
pronghorn skull mount >

pronghorn skull mount

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

pronghorn skull mount

Old 10-26-2016, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default pronghorn skull mount

I cleaned, boiled & whitened the buck skull, like i do for deer skulls, it looks great. My concern is i didn't remove the horns from the skull protrusion, it's still solid, but i'm wondering if it will eventually emit a stink from between the skull & horn? I might have to pull them off, clean and glue em back on, but hoping to avoid that if not necessary, thanks for advice.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would definitely pull the horns and clean. A little putty to keep the loose horns from moving looks nice and a small brad discreetly placed through a small hole drilled in the horn will put everything back together nicely.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 11-03-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the reply Biguncle, it has been in my heated basement for a few weeks, we have the infloor heat going plus the wood stove, here and there and it seems fine, no smell so far. If the horns do start smelling, or loosening up i'll take your advice. I gave it a rough score today and the buck came up as 75 5/8", i was pleasantly surprised.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:36 AM
Spike

I would be concerned with bugs as much as stink. I would guess you probably have other mounts around. The last thing you would want is to attract bugs to the area.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well so far so good, no stink no bugs, i never had a problem with bugs on my mounts livcoop? I think the dry heat of my wood fired basement make's a difference? The Pronghorn skull mount is looking beautiful!
Old 12-03-2016, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

It sounds like you got away okay without pulling the outer sheaths the way pronghorn are supposed to be done, but as the other guys have mentioned that's not the norm to leave them on and hope for the best like you've done. The 3 I've taken were all done the proper way and it was very simple and left no doubt that there would be no smell, bugs, etc. PS: That is a nice buck and it's too bad they don't consider width as part of the score.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-03-2016 at 07:50 AM. Reason: spelling