Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Need advice on how to mount my first buck >

Need advice on how to mount my first buck

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Need advice on how to mount my first buck

Old 11-14-2015, 03:02 PM
Spike

Default Need advice on how to mount my first buck

Hi guys,
Im new to hunting only started last year finaly got my first deer this week . I don't have the money for a big shoulder mount at the momment and its not a really impresive rack either ( 8 points ) but still pretty special to me being my first so i really want to mount it and keep it around a long time. Hoping anybody has any good ideals . Given my little budget i was thinking a european mount or one of those kits with just a plaque and skull cap or what somme of the guys around here do witch is just cutting the skull around the antlers and leaving the fur then bolting it to a plaque . I know its all preference but i still haven't develope a taste for these things yet but dont want to be disapointed down the road and don't want my wife to mount my head beside it after i put it up on the wall . Would appreciate any advice thx .

Last edited by stealthhunter0130; 11-14-2015 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Error
Old 11-14-2015, 03:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you just cut off the top of the head and bolt it to a plaque, the flesh under the skin and the skin will rot and you will get maggots and eventually the hair will fall out. Not a good plan.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
If you just cut off the top of the head and bolt it to a plaque, the flesh under the skin and the skin will rot and you will get maggots and eventually the hair will fall out. Not a good plan.
This is a good way to mount it as long as you take the skin of so its down to bone like oldtimr said...after that you can cover the bone part with fabric of any color you'd like to make it look nicer
Old 11-14-2015, 05:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gavinlobland
This is a good way to mount it as long as you take the skin of so its down to bone like oldtimr said...after that you can cover the bone part with fabric of any color you'd like to make it look nicer

I cut off the top of the skull and antlers, clean it up as best I can. then I brush a peroxide concoction on it which when it dries turns to powder and you simply brush it off.if doesn't come clean(white) the first time ,I repeat till it is.or there are skull forms you can buy and simply bolt the antlers to them.
I wrap mine with leather . I do my own but around here a good taxidermist will charge about 75-100 dollars for a horns on panel.

I would suggest you visit a taxidermist or two , to get some ideas and tips.

Last edited by kidoggy; 11-14-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:27 PM
Spike

Ok thx . I think what I'm gonna try is the euro mount looks fairly simple to do and if I don't like it I will just cut off the antlers mount them on a plaque and cover the skull part like you said . Thx guys if you have any other ideals on how to mount differently I'm open to anything .
Old 11-14-2015, 06:31 PM
Banned

good luck. and don't forget to post us some pics of the finished product.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your deer! I mount most of my racks with an antler mounting kit. I have done a few Euro mounts also for some of the bigger racks, but most go on a plaque.

This is the one I use most of the time, pretty decent, looks nice, and is inexpensive. They come in red or green.

antler mount kit
Old 11-27-2015, 09:25 PM
Spike

Default First Buck Mount

Any pics of that buck? Where are you located?
Old 12-05-2015, 12:38 PM
Spike

I'm located in Canada, luskville
It was about 134 lbs cleaned skin and legs and head takin off not a bad size for my region deer here aren't has big has others places for some reason and when you do take a big one the meat is almost always pretty stiff . I tried adding a picture but can't figure out how .
Old 12-07-2015, 10:57 AM
Spike

Just got my plaque master kit from cabelas, it's plastic , looks cheap it's going back . It says traditional wood grain plaque on the package but it's just printed on . Gotta find another one .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.