Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
An unusual fox pelt tanning job, I need help in identifying a solution. >

An unusual fox pelt tanning job, I need help in identifying a solution.

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

An unusual fox pelt tanning job, I need help in identifying a solution.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:18 PM
Spike

Default An unusual fox pelt tanning job, I need help in identifying a solution.

I received this fox pelt in a trade from an amateur furrier.

Its a beautiful fur for the purposes I will be using it for, historical reenacting, but it seems like the tanner forgot to fully flesh out the hide considering the oil and the sinew are still present in the hide.

Does anyone have clues on how this fur was cured and what I could do to make it so its good to be used on rustic/primitive clothing?

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2015, 04:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

That hide looks stiff as a board, as though it isn't tanned at all, just a dried hide.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:48 AM
Spike

The head is stiff, the body can be folded similar to a starched canvas.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I also don't think that hide was tanned or if it was somebody didn't know what they were doing. It does look like it was just left out to dry and I have no idea how to help you with your question, as tanned hides aren't "similar to starched canvas".
Old 07-24-2015, 11:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

From what I can see that is just a "green" hide, one that has been dried and nothing else, it hasn't even been skinned correctly. Whoever did that was sure no furrier, amateur would be the operative word. You may be able to get it tanned but I am not sure it would be worth te effort. Look online, google tanned hided and fur, you will find a lot of hits.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 07-25-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

I think i know what happened to this fox!
Some one put it on a fur frame and didn't turn it before it got to dry?Then,they cut it to get it off of it and butchered the hide!
Try this: Soak it in salt water. I think it should be about 1 cup per gallon of water. When and if it softens it will need degreased then pickled before tanning. It will take awhile to soften up,don't be in a big hurry!!!!!
Old 07-25-2015, 03:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know if the hide was left on the stretcher too long or even if it was on a stretcher at all but it is a mess, no tail, part of the back end missing, it doesn't look like the ears were turned, it is a mess and I don't know if it is even worth salvaging. It looks like the entire belly was cut away. However, it was not tanned, it is a green hide and the guy who handled it should never touch a pelt again! I hope what ever the OP traded for it wasn't worth more than a couple of dollars.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:06 AM
Typical Buck

The way i figure it was on a wire fur frame is the round curve in the lips and at the bottom of the hide i see little holes from the stretching arms!
Trappers,as far as i remember,never turn the ears? To do that takes some skill,to keep from detroying the ear!
I had puy many a fox on fur frames over the years.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have as well. I will have to look again, I didnt see any holes from the stretcher fasteners.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

hide was not fleshed, if it were done properly the leather would be soft and supple, cartilage was not taken out of the ears. it could possibly be rehydrayed and redone but its a 1 in a million chance.
RR