Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Bones in the feet??  Rug prep >

Bones in the feet?? Rug prep

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Bones in the feet?? Rug prep

Old 03-05-2015, 10:01 AM
Spike

Default Bones in the feet?? Rug prep

uuuh, now what?
so, the naughty cat that killed my chicken is now fully skinned and fleshed, ...except the paws. i cut the feet off right behind the thumbs, but there's a lot of meat still in there.
i want to keep the form of the toes & claws for the rug, but i'm at a loss for how that's best done. am i supposed to pluck the toes all out and stick fakes in there later?? seems ridonkulous.
please, do not respond with "take it to a taxidermist".
Old 03-06-2015, 07:49 AM
Spike

Default wingin' it

well, after my coyote-shootin acquaintance never showed up, ...and no replies here, i spent an hour on YouTube.

FEET: apparently, the common treatment is to nip each toe just behind the 1st knuckle, leaving just an inch of bone with the claw. lots of connective tissues in the feet, but it came apart alright.
note: dikes/side cutters suck. they slip off. i used heavy wire cutters. the parrot-beaked bypass kind, which encircled the bone.

EARS: good thing i didn't let a pelt hunter help with my ears. he woulda cut the inside fur out. that would've been fun to try and fix. with patience, they turned out good. i did blow out one ear tip when i wasn't gentle enough with my tool inside the ear. se la vi. it'll mend.

so, today i'm stretching the 6' kitty.