Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Finished

Old 11-16-2014, 06:55 PM
Spike

Default Finished

Nice little mount completed bleached and screwed. What do ya'll think about them? Suggestions???
Attached Thumbnails Finished-20141115_132824.jpg   Finished-20141024_160817.jpg   Finished-20141021_130225.jpg  
Old 11-20-2014, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look pretty good. Not sure how you're cleaning the skulls, I assume boiling since the nose is missing on a couple of them. That's the only thing I see that could be better.

What did you use to whiten them?
Old 11-21-2014, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

If you used bleach make sure you seal the entire skull with modgepodge or elmers white glue, or they will flake for ever.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rgswildlife
If you used bleach make sure you seal the entire skull with modgepodge or elmers white glue, or they will flake for ever.
rgs, what do you use to whiten the skulls? Curious as to what the pro's do to get them so while. I've always heard bleach was a no-no.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:32 AM
Typical Buck

Bleach is a no no, I use 35% Peroxide they come out grease free and white as snow. I leave them in till they are all clean then soak them in dawn and water.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rgswildlife
Bleach is a no no, I use 35% Peroxide they come out grease free and white as snow. I leave them in till they are all clean then soak them in dawn and water.
Good to know. How do you keep the antler bases from bleaching out, or do you just touch them up afterwards? thx
Old 11-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Good to know. How do you keep the antler bases from bleaching out, or do you just touch them up afterwards? thx
Thank you. I use electrical tape. Tape the bases and up to the point of where any hot water can come in contact with the antlers. As for bleaching... I use Clariol Basic White Extra Strength Powder. The liquid I mix in to form the paste is Salon Care 40 Volume Developer.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

To touch up or to stain a whole repo rack I use Potassium Permanganate, it works great. It goes on purple and dries a light brown, the more coats you add the darker it gets.