Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Got to position the ears on my 2013 opening day buck this weekend! >

Got to position the ears on my 2013 opening day buck this weekend!

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Got to position the ears on my 2013 opening day buck this weekend!

Old 12-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Got to position the ears on my 2013 opening day buck this weekend!

I got the phone call from my taxidermist to come on out and position the ears on my buck that I shot opening day this weekend!

Here's a photo of my buck as it nears completion!

Also.... this is the same buck I shot while checking my trail camera. If you haven't seen the video, I've got it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yklp2YQ5fSA
Attached Thumbnails Got to position the ears on my 2013 opening day buck this weekend!-img_20131221_115742_162.jpg  
Old 12-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never heard of such a thing. Why does he need you to do his work for him?
Old 12-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got to do that once. I wish I got to do it every time.

I didn't touch the deer, He just moved them around while I directed.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I've never heard of such a thing. Why does he need you to do his work for him?
Why would you pick a form when you drop your deer off at the taxidermist? Why would you do that work for him too?

I've done this on almost all of my deer. It's nice, as a person can have a preference on ear position based on the rack, the form used, and even the way the deer walked in when it was shot!

I'm sure if you dropped one off, he'd do everything for you - and I don't normally move them much (on this buck, I brought the deer's left ear forward), but all my deer still have a personal touch via the ears.

Originally Posted by rockport
I got to do that once. I wish I got to do it every time.

I didn't touch the deer, He just moved them around while I directed.
This... I do it every time. It's a nice touch, and another reason my taxidermist doesn't have to advertise his business.

I didn't touch it either. I stood a few feet back moving side to side while he wiggled them into place. Once I was happy, he locked them in and I was good to go!
Old 12-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TSR6
Why would you pick a form when you drop your deer off at the taxidermist? Why would you do that work for him too?

I've done this on almost all of my deer. It's nice, as a person can have a preference on ear position based on the rack, the form used, and even the way the deer walked in when it was shot!

I'm sure if you dropped one off, he'd do everything for you - and I don't normally move them much (on this buck, I brought the deer's left ear forward), but all my deer still have a personal touch via the ears.

This... I do it every time. It's a nice touch, and another reason my taxidermist doesn't have to advertise his business.

I didn't touch it either. I stood a few feet back moving side to side while he wiggled them into place. Once I was happy, he locked them in and I was good to go!
Yeah that is great. It can make a big difference. Those ears can really change the whole look quite a bit.

Even when I'm not offered that opportunity I usually request the ears be positioned a certain way depending on the deer..
Old 12-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah that is great. It can make a big difference. Those ears can really change the whole look quite a bit.

Even when I'm not offered that opportunity I usually request the ears be positioned a certain way depending on the deer..
Agreed! It changes the entire look with the ears sometimes!

Next time you shoot a mounter, talk it over with your taxidermist! They have a 3-5 day window where they can still move the ears...
Old 12-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed! It changes the entire look with the ears sometimes!

Next time you shoot a mounter, talk it over with your taxidermist! They have a 3-5 day window where they can still move the ears...
I still have the horns from my buck this year. I dropped off the cape,paid the deposit,and picked a form but he didn't really want to hold the antlers. Maybe when I take them back I'll ask.

I'll probably take them in next week.

Ive got one(my first bow kill) with his ears really pinned back. Some people like it and some don't. I really like it and it makes it different.

Last edited by rockport; 12-26-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the ears pinned back and down.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

Here is the ears pinned back and down.

Interesting! I've seen the ears in all sorts of positions, but never pinned back! Neat!
Old 12-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting! I've seen the ears in all sorts of positions, but never pinned back! Neat!
I probably get more negative feedback than good on it but thats OK I have plenty with more traditional ears

Years ago I rattled a big buck with in arms reach.

I was sitting at the end of a high grass waterway about 20 feet wide and 300 feet long Just banging and rattling away and he came right out of the grass in a very bad mood and about ran me over. It seemed like a 10 minute standoff but I'm sure it was only a few seconds. He stood there with his ears pinned just like that with steam rolling out of his nose as if he were processing whether to fight or flight and luckily he chose flight. I never touched or even thought about my gun that was leaning on the fence.

Once in a lifetime experience that I will never forget. Anyway that is where I got the idea. Unfortunately the buck in the picture is not in the same class as the one I didn't get but it still reminds me of the experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.