Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Vintage Polar bear rug - Authentic 8’ 9’’ (nose to tail) Real Polar Bear Rug - Legal >

Vintage Polar bear rug - Authentic 8’ 9’’ (nose to tail) Real Polar Bear Rug - Legal

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Vintage Polar bear rug - Authentic 8’ 9’’ (nose to tail) Real Polar Bear Rug - Legal

Old 11-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Spike

Default Vintage Polar bear rug - Authentic 8’ 9’’ (nose to tail) Real Polar Bear Rug - Legal

Hello!

I have a rare opportunity for a taxidermist that wants a polar bear.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=377023692

Bidding is started at $1250.00 and I will pay for ground shipping for the bears journey to the winning bidder!

This is an auction for a legal 8’ 9’’ (nose to tail) beautiful antique authentic real pre-ban Polar Bear rug. I inherited this rug as it has been in our family long before I was even born. It is an old rug but is still in good condition. It would look nice in any lodge or collection. Sale is AS-IS with no returns. It has been folded up in a box for a long time, fur may need to be cleaned and restored to revive its glory. I believe that there are only 2 claws (total) remaining on hide. There is a 4 inch crack on the left thigh, along a seam where it was folded for so long but as you can see in the pictures does not affect the look of the rug (probably easily repaired). The hide is not "falling apart", and I don't believe that it has "dry rot". Also, I can find no shedding whatsoever. The hide is in otherwise good condition. This polar bear was taken legally in the early 60’s by my uncle whom is 1/4 Blackfoot and 1/4 Cherokee, an avid hunter. There is no accompanied paperwork as the hide is an antique. I did check with an Enforcement agent at the U.S. Dept of Fish and Wildlife – Portland, OR - concerning the polar bear documentation. They said that the polar bear is a "Threatened Species" not an "Endangered Species". Because of a loophole in the law, as long as the polar bear was taken legally, there is no need for documentation. You are free to give him a call, Officer Jim Barnes of U.S.F.W. 503-682-6131. Will ship within 2 business days of receiving funds. To help this bear find a home, I am paying ground shipping for the bears journey to the winning bidder! No international sales, USA only.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=377023692
Old 11-20-2013, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Before anyone buys this they need to check into the regulations for bringing it across state lines. Normally the Fish and Wildlife Service will require permits for taking things of this nature from one state to another. Better to be safe and find out if they are required before hand.

About 10 years ago I had the opportunity to get a tiger skin that was taken in the 1950s when tiger were legally hunted. This skin had full documentation paperwork. I still had to get a special permit to get it from TX where it was to CO where my things are. It took about 6 months and $100 or so for the permit and I had to have the skin inspected in TX before it shipped and in CO when it arrived. It was a little bit of a hassle, but at least I knew everything was permitted and legal.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Spike

Default Polar bear rug

Hey do you still have the bear rug? If so im intersted in it.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

polar bears are almost extinct , ask the global warming crowd