Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Bear Half Mounts >

Bear Half Mounts

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Bear Half Mounts

Old 02-15-2012, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bear Half Mounts

I'm heading up to Quebec in the spring with my son and my dad and we're hoping we get a black bear. As I already have a full mount of the bear I got in PA, I was thinking about a half mount.

Does anyone have any pictures? How about cost estimates? I'm hoping it's a lot cheaper than a full body mount. I don't really have a good place for a rug and I feel that head/shoulder mounts don't do the bear justice.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Fork Horn

You should be able to pick up a real nice 3/4 lifesize in the 1250 range. I do quite a few every year and even the largest bears shouldn't be any higher! I would avoid one's where the arms are sticking out too far. Hope this helps
Old 02-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a picture of my NB Canada bear I took back in 1997 with the bow, it's a 3/4 mount, it was done up there, I think it would cost around $1000 give or take $200 on either side here in the USA. I have been using the same taxidermist here in NJ since just after I took this bear, i wish I knew of him back then.

Attached Thumbnails Bear Half Mounts-canada-bear.jpg  
Old 02-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

My pricing is 2/3 that of a life size. A 6ft. bear 1/2 life size will cost about $1600 plus the price of a base. (If applicable) Don't expect to pay any less than that for a quality mount.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I read in bear hunting magazine that a half-mount would run about $1500. My taxidermist runs on the expensive side so I'll bet I'll be looking at around $2000. Between me, my dad and a few buddies, we have at least 10-12 mounts done by this guy. My last buck is so life-like, it's spooky. I won't ever shop around for price.

What do they say? The sorrow of a poor taxidermy job will last a lot longer than the joy of a cheaper price.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Well put Sir!
Old 02-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ain't made of money, though.

Luckily, I know the guy well so I can pay over time. $200 a month should have it paid for by the time it's done.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

Look up McLaughlin's Taxidermy in Wapwallopen, PA. He did a half bear mount for me a few years ago, and I am very pleased with it. I believe it ran me $1000.