Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
What to apply to your deer mount's hide to preserve??? >

What to apply to your deer mount's hide to preserve???

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

What to apply to your deer mount's hide to preserve???

Old 12-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Spike

Default What to apply to your deer mount's hide to preserve???

Was wondering what you can apply to your deer mount to preserve or keep from deteriorating over time. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

Nothing should be needed other than occasionally dusting. Mounts that deteriorate over time are usually mounts that were done poorly, or kept in a harsh environment.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

If it was done properly it will not deteriorate. I have heads in my showroom over 20 years old and they look the same as the day they were mounted. Just dust em, and enjoy.

You will want to keep the mount away from a heat source like a fireplace or register vent. You also don't want it in direct sunlight, and keep it in a climate controlled environment. If you follow those tips, it should last a lifetime.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Looks like we were typing at the same time Magis.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by TimberlandTaxidermy
If it was done properly it will not deteriorate. I have heads in my showroom over 20 years old and they look the same as the day they were mounted. Just dust em, and enjoy.

You will want to keep the mount away from a heat source like a fireplace or register vent. You also don't want it in direct sunlight, and keep it in a climate controlled environment. If you follow those tips, it should last a lifetime.
Hey guys thanks so much for the information. I keep my deer and turkeys dusted regularly. They all still look great but was just struck with the thought the other day that there may be something you could apply to the hide to preserve or keep from going bad. Best.....