Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Boiling out skulls >

Boiling out skulls

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Boiling out skulls

Old 04-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Boiling out skulls

Starting this past deer season, I got into boiling out our deer heads. We usually just cut the antlers off but we did an euro mount with my first buck this year to make a cool little scenery type mount. I liked the outcome of it so I boiled out probably 3 or 4 more bucks out that my family got.
I was wondering if there was a faster way of doing it?
All im using is a old turkey roaster and filling it up with water and putting the whole entire skull in there. I turn the gas up till the water is about boiling over and let it sit for probably 7-8 hours checking it about every 30 minutes and scraping some of the meat off.
The first 8 hours I did on my buck wasn't that bad but the others got kind of boring. Is there any way of speeding it up?
Old 04-30-2010, 04:01 AM
Typical Buck

No, and you're already risking damage to the skulls by boiling. Actually, I don't know how you aren't damaging those skulls with an 8 hour boil.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by M.Magis
No, and you're already risking damage to the skulls by boiling. Actually, I don't know how you aren't damaging those skulls with an 8 hour boil.
They seem fine when im done. How are you suppose to do it without damaging them?
Old 04-30-2010, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some have used a heated pressure washer to blast the worst off, but I'd rather take my time by hand--or at least soften the meat up with a boil beforehand. 8 hours seems awfully long...You can cut off a lot of stuff before starting the boil, including sawing off the lower jaw and opening the base of the brain cavity more. You can add some borax to the water. Aside from being persistent, you could always try maceration or dermestid beetles. Not faster, just--perhaps--easier. A 3% peroxide soak will lend bleaching effect but will also do wonders in loosening up any leftover pieces on the skull.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

that all sounds like alot of work...where i am, we just tie wire the head to a tree (lots O tie wire or yotes will mess it up) near a fire ant mound..or put in in a fire ant mound and put a heavy box on it so the yotes and birds dont get in...come back in a month and all ya have to do it pull the hide off...and basically wash it, i soak mine in bleach water(cold), be careful not to break the jawbone off.
a buddy of mine uses acid..they are a lil discolored but look real nice...it does have a foul odor while they are soaking though.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

Maceration, to me, is the best DIY method. Certainly not faster, but you don’t have to sit and watch it. Most people like to simmer low and slow, rather than boiling. The high temps of boiling, especially for long periods of time, can destroy the bone.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
that all sounds like alot of work...where i am, we just tie wire the head to a tree (lots O tie wire or yotes will mess it up) near a fire ant mound..or put in in a fire ant mound and put a heavy box on it so the yotes and birds dont get in...come back in a month and all ya have to do it pull the hide off...and basically wash it, i soak mine in bleach water(cold), be careful not to break the jawbone off.
a buddy of mine uses acid..they are a lil discolored but look real nice...it does have a foul odor while they are soaking though.
No offense, but that's some really bad advice. Bleach? Acid? I hope no one thinks this is a good way to do a skull. Are you saying you leave the lower jaw attached? Do you realize the only thing holding it on there is tissue?
Old 04-30-2010, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by M.Magis
No offense, but that's some really bad advice. Bleach? Acid? I hope no one thinks this is a good way to do a skull. Are you saying you leave the lower jaw attached? Do you realize the only thing holding it on there is tissue?

sure looks as if the ants picked it clean, doesnt stink, i left the bh in the skull too, is that bad...its kinda through the eye socket and into the mouth.
it did fall off the speaker and crash to the floor dislodging both sides of the jaw. there was a piece of leather (if you will) holding them together that i was able to peel off, but it didnt stink or anything...
btw whats so bad about bleach?
its been 4 years or so on my oldest and its holding up well.
i am tryin to get some pics uploaded...
Old 04-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bleach will weaken the bone and can cause a flaking/yellowing...
Old 04-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah it is yellowed a bit, not flaking though..yet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.