Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Fleshing units

Old 02-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Fleshing units

My grandson is wanting to start a part time business fleshing deer capes for a few taxidermist I know. It looks like the hand held fleshing units would be the best to buy, but I need some advice. I am looking at the Tillie Meyer, but don't know if it is the best/easiest to use or if the Eager Beaver, S&S, Dakota or another brand would be the better option. Any into would be appreciated.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
My grandson is wanting to start a part time business fleshing deer capes for a few taxidermist I know. It looks like the hand held fleshing units would be the best to buy, but I need some advice. I am looking at the Tillie Meyer, but don't know if it is the best/easiest to use or if the Eager Beaver, S&S, Dakota or another brand would be the better option. Any into would be appreciated.

I hear many taxidermists say those hand held units ( Flesh All Mini Flesher) are junk.

I also hear many singing the praises of the table top type fleshers that cost 2 1/2 - 3 times the price of a mini flesher.

I don't own a flesher and I only dabble in taxidermy mounting my own stuff.

I use an electric pressure washer to flesh my capes. My electric washer only has about 1300 psi. and it takes about 45 minute to get all the meat off excpet for the face. I do that with a skife.

A gas power washer @ about 2300 psi should speed up the process.

I'm getting off topic talking about pressure washers and understand that isn't what you to know.

Even though the table jobs ( Dakota V, Dakota IV, Beaver, etc...) are more expensive, they are better in the long run.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Mini Flesher is not junk. I've used one for 7yrs now. I like it. I turn the lips, ears, flesh around eyes w/ a knife. Then salt down the cape & let sit a day. Then use the mini flesher. I can flesh a whole deer cape nose to shoulder in about 1hr. They're nice becasue can get into the facial areas pretty well. It does take some practice, but so do table top fleshers. You will need a decent size compessor to run one.

Windwalker, using a pressure washer to remove the meat is not fleshing. Fleshing involves removing more than just the meat left on a hide.

Last edited by BuckAlley; 02-22-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll admit that I have no experience with a mini flesher. I was considering getting one until I read other taxidermists on Taxi net saying they were junk.

If you do a search over there you will see post after post stating they are junk and not wrth the money. Most say to put your money toward a table top flesher. They are always in the classified section for sale.

As for the pressure washer.......They do work well for fleshing.

Ever tried one?

There is a difference between fleshing and thinning a cape. A pressure washer will not thin a cape. It will however, take the meat off of a cape very well. I also learned about this over at taxi net.

I have used a pressure washer, although mine is slightly underpowered, and it really gets the meat and shreds up the membrane, leaving a clean white underside to the cape.

You must use the turbo nozzle and not the flat nozzle.

Give it a try and you'll be impressed.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

Stick with a table fleshing machine, you can do all the parts of deer, moose, elk, raccoon, mink and the list goes on and on. Once you start doing it for other people you will need the larger machine. I have had one for forty years and I can't live with out it.