Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Found a dead buck, what to do…. >

Found a dead buck, what to do….

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Found a dead buck, what to do….

Old 10-17-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Found a dead buck, what to do….

Dam shame, I found this dead 8 on my way through some cut corn and dam lucky that the combine didn’t ruin the rack. Really sad to see a deer like this laying there dead, poor tracking maybe. I’m guess he was taken about a month ago during the youth hunt. I would still like to get him mounted some how. I thought of doing a euro mount for now and probably do a full mount next year. The skull is pretty clean still slightly stinky but 99% clean and definitely not in the best shape, busted nose, very, very dirty. Any suggestions how to do it, I haven’t a clue. What if I want to mount him, do I get a doe pelt and take it to a taxidermy? Do they sell mounts with skin? I’ve seen kits but they don’t include a tanned skin. It’s just real shame to see deer like this go to waste, this buck deserves a spot on the wall for sure. I am NOT a fan of the antler block mounts with the little red felt, I hate those.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 PM

Default RE: Found a dead buck, what to do….

another shot of him.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:28 PM

you can still get him mounted, no problem. all the taxi needs is the horns and skull plate. save the whole head and horns till you can find a cape for it and you're good to go. the taxidermist might be able to get a cape for you, although i'm sure it will cost you a little extra. ohh yeah, you'll need the cape off of a buck if you want it to look right. even a large doe's cape won't work. girls and boys look different.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya you can definitely get him mounted. Just go to a deer processor close to you and ask if they have any buck capes that are left over that no one wants. I am sure they will have some. Nice deer to.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice looking rack good for you to use it
Old 10-31-2007, 08:59 AM

ive been noticing more and more tanned buck hides on EBAY, just make sure you have the measurements of the cape you would get, or talk to a taxidermists, they can order them out of california for around 100 bucks