Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Taxidermy  as a PT job. >

Taxidermy as a PT job.

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Taxidermy as a PT job.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default Taxidermy as a PT job.

I would love to do taxidermy full time. But right now it probably wouldn't be possible since I have no skills in the trade and have plenty of competition around here, I am thinking.

I was just wondering what would be the bests way to get into it. I just want to do it part time to maybe make a little extra money on the side, but mainly as a hobby. I would like to get my name out there and maybe eventually open up a business.

I am looking at this as a long term goal, like a 10 year type goal. Because right now I have a good job with great benefits, but I would love to control my own schedule and work for myself.

So I guess what are my options as far as learning how to get into it. The place I work has a ton of guys that hunt. I am sure I could talk to a couple of them and maybe get work from them in the future. Getting the work doesn't seem like it would be too much of a problem. It is just getting out there and getting a couple mounts under my belt before I go out and try to do work for somebody else.

Sorry for the long post, and hopefully I came across clear enough. I would like it to start out as a part time hobby/side job. And if I do good enough work and could get my name out there I would LOVE to open up a business of my own.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Taxidermy as a PT job.

I am looking at doing something like that also. I am trying to take some classes either this fall or next spring. There are also several taxidermy schools that you can go to.

Igot a bunch of taxidermy books from the libraryand ordered some magazines off the interent and just started reading up and I did my first mount last winter after I shot my button buck. I dont think its that bad but I think I can do better.

Heres are somelinks to sites that has information on schools if you are interested.

http://www.taxidermy.net/learn/schools1.html

http://www.learn-taxidermy.com/taxidermy_schools.htm

Old 07-13-2007, 06:00 PM

do yourself a favor go to a school! it is real hard to learn on your own.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nobody is on their own in this age of internet. You have videos and books there too. If you want to do it, believe you can.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe you could work for one of the other taxis in your area for a year or so and learn from him. Tell him what you are interested in doing and he may be willing to take you under his wing and teach you the ropes. That way you could see if it is really something you are good enough at to try and do it yourself. And you will find out how much work it really is. Not to mention the mess.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think it is going to be some glamour job. But I would really like to look into it. I used to pick up hides to send out to get tanned for a taxi in town so I know what kind of mess is invloved. The smell wasn't all that great either
Old 07-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love the smell. I like to smell my hands when I'm at my real job and dream of getting home and playing with dead things.
I truthfully have never been grossed out except maybe a little, when I saw the skull cap off. Brains have a smell all their own.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

I have monkied with deer brain just about every year. We cut the racks off a few deer each year. The year I shot my big buck and I was doing a rack mount. I was using the cut off wheel to shape the skull to fit better...my nephew walked in and said that it smelled like Chicken Nuggets...that made me not want to ever eat those again, haha
Old 07-16-2007, 09:05 AM

If you are wanting to learn taxidermy we offer 1 on 1 training in our studio. We are located in NW Ohio and teach classes around the students schedule (i.e. weekends) to allow them to keep their current jobs. If you want more information it can be found at www.saultaxidermy.com or email me.