Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

deer feet mount

Old 03-13-2007, 05:46 AM

Default deer feet mount

i bought a do-it-yourself taxidermy kit to make a deer foot gun rack. i have literally no experience with doing any taxidermy.....is this relatively easy or am i in WAAAAY over my head?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: deer feet mount

No clue, but you're probably better off asking the either the bow or deer hunting forums. They will eventually move the thread here, but at least you'll get some responses first...

Good luck,
KP
Old 03-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

I did mine this way. They are as hard as rocks now. Just need to get some wood and try to mount them. Think I may drill a hole in the back of leg andput ina plastic insert, then run the screw through back of board. I just staked them and let them dry. They are staying in the garage anyway. Just wanted to try it and see how it worked. I still need to trim them to length yet.
crutch

Old 03-30-2007, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

Crutch, what you have there are 4 rotting deer feet. I hope you don't plan to keep those in the house. To be done properly, they must be skinned, fleshed, tanned, and mounted on a form. It takes some patience skinning and getting them sewn back up, but it's not too bad.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: crutch

I did mine this way. They are as hard as rocks now. Just need to get some wood and try to mount them. Think I may drill a hole in the back of leg andput ina plastic insert, then run the screw through back of board. I just staked them and let them dry. They are staying in the garage anyway. Just wanted to try it and see how it worked. I still need to trim them to length yet.
crutch

I do about the same but I cover them with 20 mule team borax, this dry's them out much quicker. I then put double threaded bolts into the center of the bone, then they can be simply screwed into a wall or in my case my fireplace mantel. I have a set that is over 30 years old and still look good.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Like Magis said, those are 4 feet that are going to rot, smell, and get bugs. You can do it that way if they are going to be freeze dried, but other wise they need to be taken off the bone and get the meat out.
Why bother to go through the trouble to make something nice if its not going to last?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:53 AM

its easyer than you think just take your time
Old 04-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to all that are doing it that way! You have now opened your home to the beautiful experience of the world of natures cleaning machines, the dermestid beetles. These guys are so much fun. They eat all the hair and feathers off all you existing mounts. Not only do they ruin mounts, they will also eat most species of horns. If you act now you can also get carpet moths for the same price! The little wonders not only also eat all the hairs off your mounts but also eat your carpeting. Hurry while supplies last!! Also here's a little TV trivia... What can the average homeowner do once they have a dermestid beetle infestation?.... Absolutely nothing! They will keep coming back. And for those that think that putting them in a bag and spraying raid in there ..... Not gonna work. There is a reaon why taxidermist do this kind of stuff, and a reason why the good ones charge more.