Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 critique time(pics) >

critique time(pics)

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

critique time(pics)

Old 12-19-2006, 03:39 PM

Default critique time(pics)

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n192/travipok/nose.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n192/travipok/face.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n192/travipok/eye-1.jpg
Old 12-19-2006, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: critique time(pics)

Ok, you asked for it.
1) the nose looks abit more like a cows. For one it appears the nostrel openings are not even. The right side appears more open than the left side. The cow look comes from the top end of the nose sticking out flat. The middle of the nose needs more clay, then round it down to the nostril openings. Its too flat all the way across, it needs to be more rounded. Hope you under stand what I mean. Check out some nose pics, maybe that'll help.
2) Ear's. Its hard to tell by the size of your picture. But what did you use in the ears, liners w/ear butt ends or no butts. Or the bondo method? It appears like it needs more ear butt at the head. Ears not sticking out far enough away from the head. If no butts were used, clay will fix that.
3) Eyes are too rounded. The top back half edge of the eye lid should come down a bit over the glass eye. More like a tear drop shape on top, and rounded on bottom I guess is best way to explain it.
Also use more pins if haven't alreadly. You want everything in place to stay perfect during the drying process. I saw very little pins. Use them in the nose nostrils, more along the tucked lips, and around the eyes at hairline. Also be sure to cart the edges of your ears also.
Other than that if this is your first, or one of your first I'd say you did a darn good job. It looks way better than the first 5 or 6 I did!!
Old 12-20-2006, 11:19 AM

ya this is my second,thx for the suggestions ...i fixed his nose,added more pins,i ran out yesterday,and i used ear liners with butts,its hard 2 see from the pics but the bases are built up pretty good,they r just pointed forward...i cant make the pics any bigger
Old 12-21-2006, 10:52 AM

The pics are not of sufficient sizefor me to givetoo many comments. I think some of the awkwardness of the nose has to do with the pic making the nose lookso big (like pushing a fish or deerout in front of you toward the camera). I can tell that there is some things out of whack with the eyes. Using reference pictures will really help you a lot. Another item that could help is a WTC video from WASCO by Carry Cochran on "Interpreting Whitetail Reference".

Carding and pins are not necessary if you have thined the skin properly, used a good hide adhesive (Buckeye, EpoGrip, etc.), and have a properly sized form. When I started Ihad pins and cards everywhere, but I soon learned the benefits of a tanned skin that had been thinned properly and a good adhesive. If yourusing DP, I'm not sure what to tell you. I know DP requires different adhesives. A goodepoxylikeEpoGrip works great for earliners and if the ears areturned out to the very edge you won't need cards. Thinning the edges of the earliners with a raspand using a good earliner like Eppley's helps witha nice crisp edge.