Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Has it been in the freezer to long? >

Has it been in the freezer to long?

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Has it been in the freezer to long?

Old 11-06-2006, 10:23 PM

Default Has it been in the freezer to long?

I killed a goose 2 years ago, put it in the freezer and now I want to have him mounted. I want to know if there are any experts on here that can tell me if it is still good. It has been wraped in a garbage bag and placed in a box. CAN I STILL MOUNT IT? HELP!!

Thanks
Old 11-07-2006, 02:46 AM

Default RE: Has it been in the freezer to long?

That can depend on several things. I've had birds last longer than that with little to no damage. I've also taken birds out that had been in the freezer for no more than 6 months that were completely ruined. How well the bird was wrapped and just the individual freezer can cause different results. The only thing you can do is take the bird to your taxidermist, tell him about the situation and let him check it out. He'll probably have to thaw the bird, to be able to really tell what kind of shape it's in, though if it is completely ruined, he might be able to tellimmediately. Personally, I'd suggest killing another goose if that is a realistic option. If it's not, go with what you got and let the taxi tell you what you're dealing with.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:35 PM

Well it the biggest, best looking spec I have ever seen and the only one I have ever killed.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:24 PM

Buy yourself a food vacuum machine and next time put in a vacuum bag, but it might still be good I have had geese in the freezer 3 years and they were still good.