Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

A few Q's

Old 01-06-2006, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default A few Q's

What are some good taxidermy videos/books and deer mounting? I know that everyone will say that the best knowledge is hands on, but I would like to learn some of the reasons why things are down and how. I was thinking of getting one of the Deer mounting kits in the Van Dykes catalog, has anyone used these kits and how did they turn out? I thought I would try to mount a deer and see how it goes and if I enjoy it maybe doing some taxidermy while I attend school. What does everybody think about going to a taxidermy school? A waste of money or a learning experience? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: A few Q's

Taxidermy School will cost you a good bit of time and money!
There are some good step by step books ,to be had. I think,one of the better ones,is from Wildlife artist supply.
IMHO,the kit,you mentioned,would not be to your liking???????
There is so much more to mounting a deer,than people figure.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:07 AM

Videos are better than books.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend getting a few videos, Salle Dahmes has a good one. But you can watch all the videos, but getting your hands on a bloody, cold carcass (sorry to be so blunt) is completely different than watching! Call around to some local taxidermist and see if they could use some help part time. I went to a local community college to learn and wouldn't trade it. Money for money, IMHO it's the way to go. I spent less than $1000 and got as much as education as some of the $10000 schools.
Breakthrough taxidermy manuals, especially the mammal, are great. Taxidermy Today and Breakthrough magazines are also good tools. If you really want to you'll find a way.