HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Target Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/target-archery-95/)
-   -   homemade compound bow target (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/target-archery/248426-homemade-compound-bow-target.html)

shetzy911 06-05-2008 03:48 PM

homemade compound bow target

I was wondering if anyone had good directions on how to build a quality target for a compound bow. I just cant bring myself to drop 100 bucks on a block. There has got to be a cheaper alternative.

thanks

Chasebaker 06-05-2008 04:52 PM

RE: homemade compound bow target

go buy a Magic Stop Bag for $20..heck I know a guy who bought a Black Hole for 25$ at menards

FlAllyGuy 06-05-2008 07:41 PM

Stack cardboard and sandwich in between 2 two by sixes with allthread on each side and maybe build a little stand for it. Shouldn't cost too much and just pin your targets to it.

jason.vansickle 06-14-2008 09:05 AM

I did it the cheapet way possible. I took an old cracked corn feed bagand stuffed it with old clothes and rags. Then took a paper plate and a can of old black stove paint made an outline of the bottom of the paint canon the plate cut it out to use as a stencil and painted the target.With a little cord from the barn and a stapler I have a target that stops my 76# hoyt katera and allows for 2 finger arrow retrival. Hows that for inexpensive.

Bailsuk 06-18-2008 02:21 AM

ORIGINAL: shetzy911

I was wondering if anyone had good directions on how to build a quality target for a compound bow. I just cant bring myself to drop 100 bucks on a block. There has got to be a cheaper alternative.

thanks
One of my toughest targets is a plastic hessian Bag filled with old clothes and it has never failed to stop an arrow yet ! . Did not cost me anything at all , any old clothes that people are chucking out will do ..... well , almost any if ya know what i mean ;)

salukipv1 06-18-2008 04:45 PM

i bought a block.....then bought a black hole.....then bought a new block 4x4....that black hole tore apart in no time, both blocks are holding up very well.

I looked into making my own block, using foam and banding wire......essentially what it is, you'll be fairly hard pressed to locate enough/right foam for this, just spend the money and get a block 4x4, it'll last near forever with tips or broadheads.

pastorjforrest 08-12-2017 01:12 PM

Compound bow target

Originally Posted by jason.vansickle (Post 2785291)
I did it the cheapet way possible. I took an old cracked corn feed bagand stuffed it with old clothes and rags. Then took a paper plate and a can of old black stove paint made an outline of the bottom of the paint canon the plate cut it out to use as a stencil and painted the target.With a little cord from the barn and a stapler I have a target that stops my 76# hoyt katera and allows for 2 finger arrow retrival. Hows that for inexpensive.

I went to home depot and got 4 burlap badges and filled them with dirt. Helps to stop the arrow and does not go that deep. Works well, strapped them said by side to make a large target. Enjoy

Oldtimr 08-12-2017 01:51 PM

What is a burlap badge?

rockport 08-15-2017 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4313249)
What is a burlap badge?

probably "bags" typo.

davidg 09-04-2017 02:57 PM

good question...i have an indoor range in my basement ..if you can accumulate some old clothes ,socks,underwear.cotton t's, whatever..put in any cardboard box....amazing...2 finger removal like jason said...best target i've ever used..wear out that box and , dump clothes into another