Community
Target Archery Paper, foam or video screens, all things related to target archery. (Please use the IBO forum for IBO related posts)

Hip Quivers...

Old 03-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hip Quivers...

I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive hip quiver for target shooting and practicing in the summer. I don't like fooling around with putting them in and out of the soft-loc when I'm target shooting, and being limited to only so many arrows. I saw buckmaster posted a similar thread not too long ago comparing the Bohning and the Vista. Many recommended the bohning for it's extra storage space, but that leads me to a question for those of you shooting that or a similar quiver. Is there a point where it's TOO much? I mean, do you really need so many different storage pockets/carrying slots, etc that it justifies extra bulkiness? Speaking of which, how bulky are the bohning quivers? I was looking at a similar quiver on Lancasterarchery which includes the belt as well. That Aurora Techno Jazz

Do most of you guys loop your quivers around an extra belt, or around the your normal belt? If I were to go with the bohning or vista, I would need the extra belt (if you guys don't recommend using your regular belt). So, in a nutshell, I do like the compact/lightweight design of the vista, but the Aurora and bohning seem similar except the aurora comes with the belt. Suggestions? Any other recommendations? As a side note, really the less I have to spend, the better. When it comes down to it, I'm really just buying a device to HOLD my arrows. For the price of some of the quivers out there, they better be able to make me dinner or something.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hip Quivers...

Matt, I just bought a bohning....how much do they want for the aurora? Looks like a nice little set up. I like the bohning, just curious. The extra belt is nice, but I have been putting mine on my reg belt...I am the production manager of a company that makes belts so i may make my own but the main advantage that i see in having the belt with the quiver is to take it on and off but if i am shooting I usually do it for a while so its no big deal to put it on the reg belt for me.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Matt, that one you pictured is all you ever need.

I use this one,

On a Sport Belt similiar to this one:

Old 03-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowtechben

Matt, I just bought a bohning....how much do they want for the aurora? Looks like a nice little set up. I like the bohning, just curious. The extra belt is nice, but I have been putting mine on my reg belt...I am the production manager of a company that makes belts so i may make my own but the main advantage that i see in having the belt with the quiver is to take it on and off but if i am shooting I usually do it for a while so its no big deal to put it on the reg belt for me.
Ben, it's $48. Not sure if the price jump from the bohning is worth it or not. I suppose I could just slip the bohning over my belt, and I know they make a belt for the bohning, just can't remember how much. Have you been shooting these weekend shoots with the Bohning? How does it feel weight wise? Bulky or no?
Old 03-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Matt, that one you pictured is all you ever need.

I use this one,

On a Sport Belt similiar to this one:

Is that a Neet? The quiver I pictured above is nice. Do you think the addition of the belt is worth the added $$$ over the Bohning?

Oh btw, I recieved my strings...I'll be getting ahold of you sometime soon hopefully.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

used it for the first time today matt. before that i had a cheapy witha metal clip....the bohning obviously was a better deal. wasn't bulky at all
Old 03-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowtechben

used it for the first time today matt. before that i had a cheapy witha metal clip....the bohning obviously was a better deal. wasn't bulky at all
Good to hear Ben, thanks for feedback.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Aurora is nice, and so are the bohnings. For casual shooting they will work fine, and I know a lot of good shooters using these quivers as well. I used an Aurora for several years and still have it as a backup.

I never had a nice quiver until last year, Lisa got me a custom leather quiver for a b-day present, so now I'm shooting a custom Fist leather quiver.They are expensive and you have to wait 3+ months to recieve it, but it's honestly really nice. I have a regular wide cut leather studded biker style belt for it and on the belt I have my shooting towel and release pouch.

If you are going to do 3D, I really like a quiver that has enough pockets to have the essentials to carry on the course with you. In my quiver I keep a folding allen wrench set, woody's arrow lube, lens pen, sharpie marker, short golf pencil (for scorecards), 3-4 extra pieces of loop material, a lighter, an extra finger sling, swiss army knife, an arrow puller, a 3" tube with endcaps that holds several inches of spare fiber in all colors, and a little ziplock baggie with several extra pin nock bushings and a dozen+ extra pin nocks. I know this sounds a bit overkill, but I'd rather have it and not need it than vice versa.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

The Aurora is nice, and so are the bohnings. For casual shooting they will work fine, and I know a lot of good shooters using these quivers as well. I used an Aurora for several years and still have it as a backup.

I never had a nice quiver until last year, Lisa got me a custom leather quiver for a b-day present, so now I'm shooting a custom Fist leather quiver.They are expensive and you have to wait 3+ months to recieve it, but it's honestly really nice. I have a regular wide cut leather studded biker style belt for it and on the belt I have my shooting towel and release pouch.

If you are going to do 3D, I really like a quiver that has enough pockets to have the essentials to carry on the course with you. In my quiver I keep a folding allen wrench set, woody's arrow lube, lens pen, sharpie marker, short golf pencil (for scorecards), 3-4 extra pieces of loop material, a lighter, an extra finger sling, swiss army knife, an arrow puller, a 3" tube with endcaps that holds several inches of spare fiber in all colors, and a little ziplock baggie with several extra pin nock bushings and a dozen+ extra pin nocks. I know this sounds a bit overkill, but I'd rather have it and not need it than vice versa.
Thanks for the info, Matt. That sure is a lot of things to carry with you, but I assume you only need one situation when you need something, and it's better to have it then not.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt, i just used my bohning for the first time today, not bulky or heavy at all, i loved it, ijust slipped it on over a regular belt and had 5 arrows(plenty room for more) allen wrench set, wax, nocks and bushings, and a camera. I never even knew it was there, and at 20.00 you cant go wrong.

Quick Reply: Hip Quivers...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.