Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Swap-A-Hunt
Hunting with locals >

Hunting with locals

Community
Swap-A-Hunt Use this Forum to swap hunts with people from around the world.

Hunting with locals

Old 08-16-2015, 08:36 AM
Spike

Default Hunting with locals

Hi,
maybe I am not in the right forum, then it would be nice if someone moves this thread to the right one. Anyway, I want to introduce myself and then tell you about my plans and I hope that a few guys from the community are willing to help me with them. I am a 26-year-old hunter from Germany with my whole family being passionate hunters. I really like hunting in Germany, but I am also interested in hunting around the world. Recently, I saw a documentary about hunting in the US. There were about ten people hunting squirrels. It looked like a lot of fun and afterwards they had BBQ with some beer and nice conversations. It just looked very nice. Last year I did a road trip through Florida and I was absolutely excited of the people I met there and friends of mine, who have been in other parts of the US, confirmed these experiences. So I absolutely plan to visit the US again. Maybe you can already guess what I dream of now. I want to come to the US either with my cousin or my brother, do a road trip and hunt with locals. Our focus is not on hunting big trophies (or trophies at all), but to get to know some nice people, have some fun with them, drink some beer and learn how they hunt. I don’t exactly know how hunting is organised in the US. In Germany it is very restricted who is allowed to hunt what and where. So I want to get some opinions from you guys. Do you think my plan is realistic and possible? Maybe one of you is willing to hunt with me or knows someone who would be willing to do so.
I’m absolutely excited about your comments and ideas.
Martin
Old 08-16-2015, 09:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

First you will have to find out when the seasons are for the game you want to hunt and in the states you want to hunt and come during that time. You will have to buy a nonresident license in each of those states. Some states offer a limited number of day licenses for non resident small game such as 3-5-or 7 days at a reduced cost. You also will have to show evidence of taking and passing a hunter education course in order to buy a license. I know Germany has training requirements a lot more stringent that the US so bring evidence you went through and passed the program. You will need to carry an acceptable form of ID in addition to your hunting license while hunting. The hardest part will be finding strangers willing to take you hunting with them, not because they are selfish or mean but because many hunters like to know people for a while before they take them out with a gun in their hand to hunt. I think what you want to do is possible but it would be more productive if you can find someone to hunt with before you spend the time and money to come to the US to hunt. You never know, perhaps someone here will
offer.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:47 PM
Spike

I think its possible to find what your looking for, but it may be difficult to find someone to bring strangers from another country to come into their homes and take them hunting. It probably be easiest to find someone who'd take your varmint hunting such as for coyotes, hogs, squirrels, etc.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

Hi Martin. It just so happens that i have done several swap hunts with people from Europe and have made some great friends doing this. My wife and i are actually going to Germany to hunt with a person that came to the USA and hunted with me. We will be there from Sept 9-23 and hope we can meet up with you so we discuss you coming and hunt with me. I have plenty of references if you like I'm in the Catskill mountains in up state New York . I have a nice cabin and great friends to hunt with. I also have over 1,100 private acres of land. Email me at [email protected] and we can exchange some pics and talk more. BTW i live by my motto below