Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Laryngeal paralysis

Old 01-16-2018, 01:39 PM
Spike

Default Laryngeal paralysis

My yellow lab died of complications due to laryngeal paralysis a while back and I was wondering if this is common in labs or if anyone here knew much about it (i.e. what brings it on, how to get it addressed, etc.)

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to admit I never heard of it.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:20 AM
Spike

Neither had I. I was told by the vet that it was not uncommon in labs.

Anyone?
Old 01-18-2018, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

sorry about your dog .. I lost a lab several years back to a disease that had not even been discovered yet .. exercise induced collapse .. I feel your pain .. could your vet not answer your questions?? he/she said it was not uncommon?
Old 06-27-2018, 08:09 PM
Typical Buck

Cause to my knowledge is unknown. Only "cure" is an operation to staple it open. Which means all water work should cease. One of the many aliments Labs are known to have. EIC and CNM are also of concern in Labs.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

well sorry for your loss
but LP is a long time disease in many dog breeds, labs included
when BUYING a pup, is always a good idea to talk to the breeder about history on there lines, and see if its been in there lines
most ALL good breeders will be up to par on things and know what they have or don't
its a HUGE reason to buy dogs from REAL dedicated breeder that have the breeds best interest in hand and NOT just making money!
if you get on any LAB Forum, you will find many that have sadly had this happen to there dogs too, so it is sort of common in Labs!
Old 06-28-2018, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

well sorry for your loss
but LP is a long time disease in many dog breeds, labs included
when BUYING a pup, is always a good idea to talk to the breeder about history on there lines, and see if its been in there lines
most ALL good breeders will be up to par on things and know what they have or don't
its a HUGE reason to buy dogs from REAL dedicated breeder that have the breeds best interest in hand and NOT just making money!
if you get on any LAB Forum, you will find many that have sadly had this happen to there dogs too, so it is sort of common in Labs!