Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Using tracking dogs with sight hounds >

Using tracking dogs with sight hounds

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Using tracking dogs with sight hounds

Old 07-06-2017, 07:22 PM
Spike

Default Using tracking dogs with sight hounds

So I found a guy near us that has a good pack of tracking dogs for fox and coyotes that tend to run them in a loop of about a 1/2 mile. the old guy always used a double barrel 10ga but he said his eyes are not as good as they use to be and he was looking for a catch dog that could be let loss as one goes by. My frist thought was one of the sight hound breeds. But my question is a lot of the land we hunt is heavy cover with opens anywhere between a few feet to a 100 yards or so so would you all think any of them could over take one when it goes by and before it losses them in cover
Old 07-06-2017, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

A German wire hair will likely get the job done. Depends on the line, but most I've seen have a really strong prey drive. I'd be a little afraid of one getting torn up in the brush, they aren't much on giving up a chase. Kind of a Kamikaze temperament.

A buddy had a Weimaraner, German shorthair mix and a Beagle, ridgeback mix that were a team. That Shorthair mix was sure enough quick and ran in 15 foot bounds, his feet barley touched the ground.

My Weimaraner would grab them by the back leg, he wasn't much on finishing them off, but wouldn't let go either.

Hard to peg to a breed, much of it is luck and how a particular line or dog tends to act.

Most of the Hunting breeds are breed to work with other dogs, Yotes are dogs. I had a Beagle Rottweiler mix that wasn't real fast but worked well in brush and would kill anything he caught.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 07-06-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:43 AM
Spike

Interesting I knew some people use g.w.p to track fox and coyote but I thought most push them to gun. With your wimaron is that the one you talked about that was born hating fox did you ever use it for coyote. If so was the deal he would catch it and hold on until the others got there. Also with the beagle rotwaler x was it just a tracking dog or kill dog when it got there
Old 07-07-2017, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Weimaranar I had that would grab on and hold on was mostly Hogs, the breeder had added what he called an Italian Blood hound to the mix for a better nose. Italian Blood hounds are known for tracking and if they catch up to a wounded animal they latch on and hold on until the hunter shows up to finish the job. His improved line of Weimaraner picked up this trait also. I wouldn't count on it being universal. Strong prey drive, stamina and fighting ability are likely to be Weimaranar traits.

Your buddy sounds like he needs a Ridgeback or Airedale (non show dog line, working dog line) they tend to close with game and worry it until the hunter shows up.

Just an opinion, dogs in general are domesticated animals. When their killer instinct gets too strong, they stop being domesticated and start being really dangerous. One of those things IMO you just can't count on, kind of like training big Cats, you never know for sure if instinct is going to override training.

My last Weimaranar tore a Fox to shreds and spread it's guts in a ten foot circle the first time I tried to get him to retrieve one. I was shocked at how vicious he was, at home he was a big teddy bear and a real lover.

Most hunting breeds will fight, they have to for self protection. Fox and Yote are Canis, some Hunting breeds are likely to hold back some, but their smell is different enough they could be taught to kill. I don't know exactly why but German Wire Hair pointers just seem the type, a little wilder, stronger prey drive and fighting instincts than most gun dogs. But a Herding dog might also work out well, hundreds (thousands) of years of genetics telling them to protect the flock and either drive off the predator, savage it or kill it.

You really can't count on Breed to show all the traits you are looking for, some are common sense, if it is going to fight and or hold on it is unlikely to be baying at the same time. And it differs line to line within a breed, they may look the same or similar but have somewhat different strengths and weaknesses.

Like I've said before I'm more likely to modify my hunting to fit the dog than train the dog to something it is unsuited for temperament wise. And the only way to spot talent (s) is to watch a lot of dogs, you pick up the signs after awhile.

I warned a buddy about his dog, he looked at me like I was nuts, a couple of months later he lost two fingers to that dog.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 07-07-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:24 AM
Spike

Ok I don't know there were still working line airdeal and raigbacks
Old 07-08-2017, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Google Giant Airedale, he still raises normal size working dogs and the larger variety. I have no idea where to find a working Ridgeback.

I put out the word to other hunters and E mailed a bunch of Veterinarians. Many of the Vets have a relationship with breeders and may be able to point you in a direction.

Over the years I've picked up a lot of discards, dogs either scheduled to be put down for temperament or whatever. Spend an hour or so with the dog, show them a few different pelts or pigs ears, watch them and try to spot the issue with the last owner and decide whether it is correctable or not. Basic prey drive, how they react to your command voice and other factors. Try to spot their dominant traits, some is physical build (is it built for speed), eye dominant or nose dominant. The only up side to pure breed dogs is you kind of know what to expect in a broad sort of way, but some of the best dogs I have had were Mixes, you have to be sharp enough to spot their talents.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:09 AM
Spike

Ok thanks man I check out the guy with the airdeal
Old 07-10-2017, 01:18 PM
Spike

Ok I think I have found a good possible fit found a kind called a Anatolian sheperd that is said to not be able to see a coyote and not go after it also seems like some of the other bigger livestock gurading dogs might work
Old 07-10-2017, 01:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

How long is this going to go on?? Are you going through the encyclopedia of dogs.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
How long is this going to go on?? Are you going through the encyclopedia of dogs.
LOL! He should be about ready to write his own book on dogs!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.