Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
So actually found a hunting bloodhound >

So actually found a hunting bloodhound

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

So actually found a hunting bloodhound

Old 06-24-2017, 07:19 PM
Spike

Default So actually found a hunting bloodhound

Meat a guy that actually works his bloodhound hunting coyote said the way it was done was he would walk him in on a leash on a cold track until it got to were the dog wanted to speed up then he would let it loss said the reason he liked the blood hound was it was slow enough to not push the coyote hard and makes it easier to get ahead of the coyote for a shot I was wondering if anyone else has heard of or used a slower breed of dogs for coyotes or foxs to be able to get ahead of them for a shot
Old 06-25-2017, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bloodhounds have an amazing nose. A friend of my Fatherin-law had one and the problem while coon hunting with the bloodhound was it would strike a 2 day old track and if you pack a few lunches they work, but hotter nosed dogs like Walkers, Black n Tans, Plotts, ect worked better for us. But we never tried that on yotes. My bud in the open fields of Illinois uses Walkers with Lurchers they get a lot of coyotes.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:15 AM
Spike

Just wondering what kind of land do you hunt here it a lot of hills and heavy cover semes like the guy's that like the slower dog seam to be from land like us
Old 06-25-2017, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Kyboy88
Meat a guy that actually works his bloodhound hunting coyote said the way it was done was he would walk him in on a leash on a cold track until it got to were the dog wanted to speed up then he would let it loss said the reason he liked the blood hound was it was slow enough to not push the coyote hard and makes it easier to get ahead of the coyote for a shot I was wondering if anyone else has heard of or used a slower breed of dogs for coyotes or foxs to be able to get ahead of them for a shot
Could you please use sentences with some correct punctuation so we can read your posts easily? Thank you because it was very hard following that post with no punctuation at all!
Old 06-25-2017, 07:12 PM
Spike

Ok sorry I didn't catch that
Old 06-26-2017, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kyboy88
Meat a guy that actually works his bloodhound hunting coyote said the way it was done was he would walk him in on a leash on a cold track until it got to were the dog wanted to speed up then he would let it loss said the reason he liked the blood hound was it was slow enough to not push the coyote hard and makes it easier to get ahead of the coyote for a shot I was wondering if anyone else has heard of or used a slower breed of dogs for coyotes or foxs to be able to get ahead of them for a shot (.)
Here you go.