Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Smart pup but dumber than a box of rocks too. >

Smart pup but dumber than a box of rocks too.

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Smart pup but dumber than a box of rocks too.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Smart pup but dumber than a box of rocks too.

My pup is learning stuff at a real good rate. She sits while I put her food down for her and waits for me to release her to eat. She gives me her foot when I ask so I can slip the dumb harness's the sell local on her. coming back from our walks I tell her go to the barn while we are a couple hundred yards from it and she is off like greases lighting for the barn and stand by the water hydrant so she can drink from the hose I have for filling a bucket. She drives me nuts with wanting to eat Poop, don't matter deer poop is a favorite and easy to get quickly, horse poop is easy if I am day dreaming as we walk by the horse pasture. Go under the turkey roost trees and WOW like a all you can eat buffet. Any other poop she can find in the woods and field she likes. Tried about every thing telling her to leave it and pulling her away, reach in and clear her mouth with my fingers not a favorite thing of hers. I have gotten where I jerk the harness pulling her away and saying no but that isn't working either. My vet could not say why she likes the crap so well but suggested I apply hot sauce and hot pepper on the poop.
I don't know where my vet lives but it sure isn't in deer country where there is a poo pile covering about every square foot of field and woods.
I don't be leave in shock collars for training but am just about to that point with the darn poop.

Al
Old 08-05-2016, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is some kind of stuff you can buy to sprinkle on your dogs food to make them stop eating their stool, you can usually find it at places that sell pet supplies. I can't vouch for it, I never had that problem but I have ad dogs that liked to roll in cow dung.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sooner or later she is going to pick up some parasites doing that. I tend to play the percentages, nothing is perfect, but if you can get her to cut down some it would likely be beneficial in the long term. A Tape Worm might stunt a pups growth.

The only thing I really worry about is Fox and Yote poop, they can give your dog a parasite that is pretty much incurable and can spread it to you.

I test my dogs a couple of times a year, a stool sample three days running. Been lucky so far, the only parasites they ever got were Roundworms.

Funny story about that, had a dog that was really athletic, she could make some really impressive leaps running flat out. Horses came by one day and dropped a load, she wolfed down a couple of handfuls of road apples jiffy quick. She runs up the road and then comes back running full out, leaps through the air and kisses a buddy of mine right on the mouth while she is flying by. My buddy turns to me and smiles, I see the green ring around his mouth. I swear that dog did that on purpose, I was laughing like crazy and the dog was standing there with a big grin on her face.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 08-05-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

she doesn't eat her own or the other pups poop for some reason.

Al
Old 08-05-2016, 01:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

She is a little small for an e-collar at this point, but when she gets larger I suspect an attitude adjustment from an e-collar while saying NO, when she indulges her habit will stop it after just a few times. It doesn't take smart dogs long to get the message.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I'm keeping her on a short leash right now so I can watch her better.

Al
Old 08-06-2016, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

An e collar does wonders IF the owner is smarter than the dog and knows how to use it properly!
Old 08-06-2016, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I may be screwed, dog may be smarter than I am.
Trying a change to her diet to see if she is missing some thing in the present meals.

Al
Old 08-06-2016, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
I may be screwed, dog may be smarter than I am.
Trying a change to her diet to see if she is missing some thing in the present meals.

Al
So what are you doing, mixing a little turkey poop and deer poop in with her Purina, LOL!
Old 09-26-2016, 04:05 AM
Spike

I can relate to your frustration. when my springer was a pup she would eat poop all the time. She has backed away from eating poop. But, she still likes to go to the neighbors and still roll in the horse poop. Never her own poop, but deer droppings was real a favorite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.