Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Looking to start jagdterrier in hunting >

Looking to start jagdterrier in hunting

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Looking to start jagdterrier in hunting

Old 08-01-2016, 12:25 PM
Spike

Default Looking to start jagdterrier in hunting

I have an 8 month old jagdterrier I want to hunt small game with her mostly groundhog. any ideas how to get her started and where to hunt in southwest Ontario?
Old 08-21-2016, 10:31 AM
Spike

I would say that if she is from hunting stock she already knows what to do. I would take her for walks in areas where she is likely to find game. Probably around old farms, brush piles etc. Problem with chucks is that if they see you coming they are underground and a jag is probably too big to go in the hole after the chuck.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

The easiest way is to take her out with another good dog. Terriers are a different sort of hunting dog. Their hunting instinct is a lot more profound than many other breeds and pound for pound they can be some of the most ferocious dogs around. All they need is to develop a little technique or experience.

Been my experience your job is to point them in the right direction and then manage to keep up with them.

I can't ever remember seeing a Terrier that can be called off when they are in hot pursuit or after they have latched on.

If yours is small enough to go underground, make sure you get a locator collar for it. They will get into places they can't get back out of. Having a friend or few with shovels handy is almost a must. I've known people who had their dogs get into spots it was impossible to get them out of. One got stuck under the railroad tracks in a Fox burrow and died there.

I mostly Rat with mine, they take to hunting Mice and Rats really quick. But they also work well for flushing Rabbits and Pheasant from thick brush. They go places the larger dogs just can't go.

Mine are death on Hedge Hogs, the spines don't even slow them much. Once they get in a frenzy they don't seem to notice any pain. I really have nothing against Hedgehogs except they are Flea and Tick infested, my Terriers really hate them.

I have a true earth dog, she really enjoys tight places. It is in her genes, she also has a really flexible backbone.

I take mine out to flush Fox from those big round silage bails the farmers leave in the fields. Fox favor taking up residence in those bails. If the dog gets stuck I can get it back out without digging, though I have needed a tractor with a bail lift a few times. Most farmers will thank you for getting the Fox out of there Cattle feed, the Cattle don't much like the Fox poop and urine in their food.

I have two Plummer Terriers and a Jack Russel, I have friends with Jagdt Terriers and Dachshunds.

Jagdt Terriers can be super ferocious and biters, you have to watch your fingers and small children, especially if they get in a frenzy.