Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Stormy.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Enjoy Yooper!! Nice pictures.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:31 PM
Spike

I like it, it looks very smart
Old 04-29-2016, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Stormy got her first harness and has out grown it in a bit over two weeks. The part you put her head thru is what is to small now. Yes she has a big head.

Al
Old 04-29-2016, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

They don't stay small for long.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice looking pup.. I hope he does well as he grows. They are a whole lot of fun training them and watching them improve as you go along.. I had the Irish Setter and they were a lot of fun working them. I took mine to a pheasant farm once they started pointing for me. They used pheasants and quail To help me get them going. That is where I introduced them to the gun shot. One of them was a little timid but the other one got to love it. Then when ever he heard a shot he ran to where it came from.. lol I had to keep calling him back.. But once your pup is older it can be of great help for you if there is a place like that around for you to help get her going even better.. It sort of helps both of you under a more controlled environment..
Old 04-29-2016, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

18 days ago we took her to the vet. She went again today and has went up 3 pounds in weight from 10 to 13.1 pounds. That comes out to about a pound a week.

I have a friend that has a pay to hunt bird farm, Never agreed with that system any more than a deer hunt inside high fences.
I suppose for training the pup it would be OK but not for shooting birds by me.

Al
Old 04-29-2016, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is not really the same as the birds can fly and will fly as well as any you miss can end up in anyone's back yard.. Also it is great for the pup to get a better idea on what is going on..
Old 04-30-2016, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Have helped my friend once in a while on busy week ends and one thing I learned is 99% of the birds will not fly. Dogs find them and go on point then the hunter has to almost stick a foot under the bird and give a real good lift to get them off the ground.
Most it seemed to me never move once placed in the cover.

Al
Old 04-30-2016, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

You went to the wrong place. If a regulated hunting ground has birds that were raised correctly and they were planted correctly they will fly well. Lots of places dizzy the birds very hard because clients don't want to have birds leave the area before they get there. In order to train a dog well, you must show it birds and you must shoot birds over it. Where I live there are no longer enough pheasants in the wild or enough grouse numbers needed to train a dog so we either have to drive out west where there are lots of pheasants or go to a state that has a lot of grouse or use a regulated hunting grounds. There are many propagators that have well raised and exercised birds that they are good fliers, quail, chukars and pheasants. You can buy the birds and plant them yourself or go to a good regulatd hunting ground and tell them how you want the birds planted. If you use good birds and have them planted properly the end result will be a dog that is as good as a dog trained on wild birds.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 04-30-2016 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree with Oldtimr and say you guys went to the wrong place or gave him the wrong instructions on what you wanted.. Where I went they were active and also had some that was released for other hunters that they did not get which he allowed for bonus birds.. I guess maybe better to do a little researching into it.. i found it very use full..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.