Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

healer?

Old 03-26-2015, 01:39 PM
Spike

Default healer?

i have a healer rotti mix puppy and was wondering about
the breed and hunting capabilities any help would be great
Old 03-26-2015, 02:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Heelers are herding dogs and Rottweilers are not hunting dogs either so I wouldn't think it would be a good hunting dog candidate.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm familiar with both breeds, especially healers, as friends have a couple on their farms. I have no idea if a mix of them would hunt, but I guess you could try and see what happens.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want a hunting dog,,,,,,,,, Get a hunting dog.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Doc E
If you want a hunting dog,,,,,,,,, Get a hunting dog.

LOL - Very True !!!

Healers are energetic and very smart; yes they are herding dogs.

But............................??
Old 03-27-2015, 01:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is "heeler" for crying out loud, Drs. are healers, heelers are dogs!

Last edited by Oldtimr; 03-27-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You got me on that one, as even though I got As in spelling all the way through school I was in a hurry and missed that one since it's not a common word, LOL!
Old 03-28-2015, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heelers are herding group dogs, Rotties used to be herding dogs, but then converted over to "working dogs" in the modern breed groups (like German Shepherds). Rotties used to be used to herd cattle to market by german cattleman, then the money would get tied around their neck to deter thieves on the route back home. Then folks realized that a big, loyal, scary looking dog like that would make a good working dog, so they were eventually "repurposed"...

So you essentially have a herding dog...

Now, the fun part is this - herding dogs have incredibly high prey drives, which we've "reprogrammed" in them to be "herding drive," but it's really the same instinct - Nature tells them "hey, there's something I should kill and eat, I should chase it," and programming tells them "oh wait, I'm just supposed to chase it".

While they will never be as effective or efficient as a sporting dog, there are plenty of "good dogs" that are very trainable to do different purposes.

I've hunted rabbits with my heelers over the years. They like to run and have great endurance, so they make decent flushing dogs. When something small runs, they'll tear after it at high speed, so I had to be careful picking shots, lest I'd accidentally shoot my own dog.

My family and I used to breed Rotties, among other breeds, so we'd take one or two of our rot's along as "finishers" when we took our Jack Russel Terriers after coons during the day. The Rotties had the legs to run down a coon that would run out from under a building or out of a hole, and even though they weren't skilled at killing like hound-dogs that know instinctively to stretch and choke together, the rotties powerful jaw would crush a spine or skull or chest in one bite. We got most of our coons out of trees over treeing walker hounds, but I'd venture we killed over a hundred coons over the years with two of our rotties.

I used to take some of our Australian Shepherds and Border Collies out after rabbits and even upland birds. Being trained in herding commands, I could give them hand signals and/or whistle or verbal cues for their movements and use them as flushing dogs. They have plenty of leg to run all day and cover ground, so even though they just thought we were out having fun on a long walk, I still bagged birds.

Pretty much any dog can be trained as a flushing dog for birds. All you have to do is train them to circle out in front of you, and both a rottie and a heeler will have plenty of leg and plenty of lung to do that, so I'd assume that the cross would be just fine.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Heelers are pretty fast dogs to run rabbits with, the point of hounds is they are slow and will be safely behind the rabbits when you shoot. I once had a white mule that would point birds, however, I had to shoot her, she took to chasing rabbits!
Old 03-29-2015, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
So what you are saying Oldtimer is that I count on "spell check" to fix that one for me - LOL !!!

As a matter of fact I saw one working today; that's a heeler, not a MD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.