Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Retriever help

Old 03-12-2015, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Retriever help

I've been training labs for my own personal use in waterfowl hunting for over 35 years. All my pups were from the same line (one that I maintained through limited but selective breeding). Every one of them were exceptional hunters especially my last female. After she passed I let a couple years go by but picked up a pup last summer. She is now 9 months old. She loves the water and chasing thrown dummys. But she doesn't want to bring them back all the time without coaxing. Also she is afraid of loud noises (gun shy). I don't have any clue why. The noise part I can get corrected with the help of my friend but this retrieving is driving me nuts. I don't have a confined area where I can only have her run to the dummy and directly back to me. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:53 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Force Fetch. Now I am not a lab trainer but understand what you want. If the dog likes the chase but is 'iffy' on bringing it back - then stop throwing anything more and force fetch.
That is what I would do.
JW
Old 03-12-2015, 06:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

That may help JW. I've done that twice and it really works on teaching a dog to pick up (fetch) and release on command. But it is really heart breaking to a dog lover to do. I may have to go that route. But she likes to pick the dummy up but when she comes back she runs right past me unless I stop her. I may have to go back to basics and reteach her to heel. I think I'll start with that first.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK, ask yourself what command the dog is ignoring -----
The dog is ignoring the "HERE" command.

Go back to Basic Obedience, concentrating on "HERE".

We teach puppies HERE with operant conditioning (treat training) first. Then we train our Labs to HERE with a long check cord followed by mild ecollar stimulation starting at 4 months of age.

Once HERE is perfectly established, then Force Fetch and you've got it made.

Teach = Treat training
Enforce = Check cord
Reinforce = ecollar

Old 03-15-2015, 05:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

thanks Doc
Old 03-15-2015, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally I've only learned a lesson ONCE, when I learned it the HARD way.

Really good dogs are hard to come by.............................

Just one man's opinion !!!
Old 03-16-2015, 04:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had a lot of real good dogs. Mostly because of genes, training and upbringing. But I had one exceptional dog. She seemed to know what I wanted before I did. A great retriever on waterfowl and a fantastic field dog. She caught and brought me more pheasants than I shot over her. And she had the most gorgeous chocolate coat of any dog I ever saw. When she passed I was broken hearted for a long time.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's all about "drive"........some have it, some not so much.

"Come" however is non- negotiable !

Forced retrieve might be your last resort.

After 35 years, you know what you are doing - Good luck Bronko !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-16-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:34 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bronko22000
That may help JW. I've done that twice and it really works on teaching a dog to pick up (fetch) and release on command. But it is really heart breaking to a dog lover to do. I may have to go that route. But she likes to pick the dummy up but when she comes back she runs right past me unless I stop her. I may have to go back to basics and reteach her to heel. I think I'll start with that first.
You are certainly correct. As said by others you know what your are doing. But FF done correctly does and will bring the dog down. However the good trainers learn how to build the dog back up after the dog has an understanding of the word 'Fetch.' All my dogs go through FF - some are easy - some so-so and some are a Son of a gun. The hardest dogs IMO are the softer temperament dogs. Those I look for ways to make it fun and with lots of positive constant praise type repitition. I look for ways to bring that tail back up once I the dog has the understanding.

And I have yet to see a natural. So FF is what I suggest.

And as far as running past you. Use a corner or someplace that both sides comes to a point and the dog can not get past you.

My wife helps me a lot. She thought it would be nice is the dog fetched to newspaper. So she worked on that. Now if that early morning paper hits the porch at 3 AM she has to get up as that dog will not leave her alone until that paper is brought in.
And if I say the command fetch with the two I have now - one never knows what they will bring. Might be some dirty drawers out of a laundry basket or a shoe or two.........but every time the dog is praised.
My wife and I even trade the TV remote. Say fetch and give it to the dog.

JW

Last edited by JW; 03-16-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bronko,

This is the best guy I know.

Tell him Sheridan from MCC & the Mendenhall family recommended him.

http://raneyranchretrievers.com/