Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

HFO or Hip Replacement

Old 09-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default HFO or Hip Replacement

I have a young English Setter with a bad right hip. Vet says options are HFO or hip replacement. Anyone have any experience with these procedures? If not, from what you have heard which is best?

Thanks, Jim
Old 09-19-2014, 07:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

What is an HFO?
Old 09-19-2014, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Oldtimer, Maybe I used the wrong abbreviation. Anyway, it is when they remove the ball on the femur and muscles supposedly replace hip/ball function. Sorry about that.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

You mean FHO (femoral head ostectomy), but to answer your question, no have never had to do this. Got four dogs now and two are above ten, so if something that big comes along, it would be a tough decision for the older two, the two younger ones I could make it.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

The question woud be what is the life of either procedure before the replacement wears out. How long will a dog be able to hunt with either one of the procedures done? Dogs put on a lt more miles than their owners while hunting, many more. Replqacements in humans have a time frame to be useful, they do not last forever in humans, let alone a big running hunting dog. I am glad I don't have to make that decision, I would probably get a new pup and keep the other dog as a house pet and not hunt it.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those are actually great things to take into consideration. Humans have nobody to answer to then themselves, so keep in mind a dog will do his best to please you even if they are in pain. So it is true to evaluate the quality of life the dog will have and what quality of life you want for the dog.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks fellas, but this dog is not going to hunt but only a pet. I don't hunt birds except turkeys. I had a turkey dog and the mts. here in WV are just rugged but he did very well. I just want to fix the pup in the best way possible for him, recovery and usage of the hip.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2014, 06:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

If that is the case I would ask the vet which is best, then get a 2nd opion and do what is best for the dog.