Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Do you feed your hunting dog special food? >

Do you feed your hunting dog special food?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Do you feed your hunting dog special food?

Old 04-14-2014, 08:02 PM
Spike

Question Do you feed your hunting dog special food?

Can't regular old dog food bought in bulk at a feed store do for Labrador Retrievers that hunt doves?

I am considering taking up feathered game hunting and have to make every dime as well as every shot count.

It is not every blue-collar stiff who is made of solid gold.

Why does hunting always have to be about something fancy, high tech and gobbling up hard-to-come-by money in these tough economic times?

I mean Daniel Boone did not hunt with a Weatherby, a Master Hunter dog or a Garmin!

For me, I want to take a frugal approach to bagging game. For shotguns, no Berretas for me,
just a plain-jane Mossberg will do.

I wish there was a Blue Collar Hunting forum here and a Blue Collar Hunt Club near Sacramento.

Last edited by JonMBailey; 04-14-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Purina Dog Chow for many years. None died from their food far as I can tell.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:51 PM
Fork Horn

I also fed the same for years, but my dogs also defecated allot also. That is due to all the fillers or crap in those foods. I now feed Pro Plan to all my dogs. A little more cost, but by far a whole lot better quality food.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Geez, here we go again with more complaining!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-15-2014 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I usually stick with one brand which for a log time was bench and field. got so it was only sold at one place around here the price sky rocketed. I asked our vet and he said about any thing with 21% protein was a good starting point.

Hunting doves is some thing you should not do. I've read many a persons experience and they go thru a lot of ammo with little in return.

Al
Old 04-15-2014, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

How do you think Professional Human Athletes would perform if all they ate was junk food ?
Same holds true for Canine Athletes.

Say if Premium dog food is $1.00 a pound and "junk food" Dog Food is $0.75 a pound........ You feed 1/2 lb of the premium food and 3/4 lb of the junk food.

Which one is the least expensive. Think about it.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Doc E
How do you think Professional Human Athletes would perform if all they ate was junk food ?
Same holds true for Canine Athletes.

Say if Premium dog food is $1.00 a pound and "junk food" Dog Food is $0.75 a pound........ You feed 1/2 lb of the premium food and 3/4 lb of the junk food.

Which one is the least expensive. Think about it.

Got to agree, also wanted to add most dog foods if you validate the ingredients they are listed by amount found in the product. Most will have corn meal or bone meal as the primary source which is not good for anything. So i tend to spend more for better food for all four of m dogs.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:27 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Geez, here we go again with more complaining!!!
If you don't appreciate my threads, sir, please ignore them.

Good day, sir.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:31 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
Got to agree, also wanted to add most dog foods if you validate the ingredients they are listed by amount found in the product. Most will have corn meal or bone meal as the primary source which is not good for anything. So i tend to spend more for better food for all four of m dogs.
Professional human athletes get paid multi-million dollar contacts so they have no excuse to binge on Little Debbie cakes.

I should charge spectators $600 admission each to see my bird dogs train and hunt in the fields and then my pooches might get rewarded with Eukanuba and prime rib!
Old 04-15-2014, 05:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
I usually stick with one brand which for a log time was bench and field. got so it was only sold at one place around here the price sky rocketed. I asked our vet and he said about any thing with 21% protein was a good starting point.

Hunting doves is some thing you should not do. I've read many a persons experience and they go thru a lot of ammo with little in return.

Al
That is because most dove hunters can't shoot for sh_t.

Or, perhaps, they should reload.

Does paying $30-$50 a pheasant on a private reserve yield a better meat return?

I want to use a well-trained Lab to retrieve my doves and other game. Some doves are downed but never recovered.

Avoid long 40-50 yard passing shots on doves too. Water hole doves over decoys puts more birds in the bag per box of shells spent.
A decent dove hunter should limit with two boxes of shells in the field per day in CA. Skeet practice limbers up a dove shooter.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...-you-good-shot

Last edited by JonMBailey; 04-15-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.