Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

St. Bernards?

Old 04-14-2014, 11:15 AM
Spike

Default St. Bernards?

Are St. Bernards or New Foundlands better for hunting?

Last edited by 3dPathway; 04-14-2014 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Between two dogs
Old 04-14-2014, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting what ?

St. B's have never been a hunting dog.
Newfies "kinda" have (a litle bit).

If i were to consider a hunting dog, these two breeds would be waaaaay down on the list.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:20 AM
Spike

The reason I ask about these specific dogs is due to the fact that I have a six year old son and want to get him a dog in a year or two. I love these two types of dogs and wondered if they were good for hunting. Don't think it is that stupid of a question. Just trying to learn. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get the kid a Lab and you'll both be happy.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

Of the two, I'd say the New Foundland, but I'd be wary of any breed the isn't bred with hunting purposes in mind. I'd agree with T.G. on this one.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:04 PM
Spike

I have Newfoundlands. They are an original breed that Chesapeake s and Labs were bread down from. Newfoundlands are water dogs and have web feet. They are tremendous swimmers with a very thick undercoat. In the old days Saling ships carried Newfies in case someone was washed overboard. The Newfe has a natural instinct to rescue. They are extreamly gentle and loving family dogs. They do require a great deal of care due to there coats. Unless your willing to spend 1 hr a day a Newfie is not for you. Also they suffer in hot weather because of there heavy coat. They are very expensive to own due to there size. Vet bills will run a lot higher. As far as hunting dogs I know of a couple guys who have used there Newfs for Pheasent and Ducks, but then had to spend hrs trying to get all the burrs out. So for a hunting dog I would recomend a Lab.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:30 AM
Spike

Thanks Guys. A yellow lab is in mind. I would really love to have a Newfie. How much do they cost to buy these days? Where do you find one to purchase?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:38 PM
Spike

Newfoundland pups will be $1000 on up depending on bloodlines. My last one was $1,200. He is now almost 4 years old and weighs 160 lbs. Again I must warn you they are not for everyone. Verry long hair, thick undercoat and they do slober. Proper training is also a must, as they are strong enough to drag a full grown man when on a leash.If you want more info on them google Newfoundland rescue. There are usually rescued dogs available that people give up once they find out what a hand full they are. Every state will have a listing and you can see whats avsilable for adoption. Much cheaper than buying a pup. There is also a lot of good information on the breed on this site.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:33 PM
Spike

Wow. I though they were more expensive. Everyone has told me that. Not bad. Makes me excited. They remind of big cuddly bears.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:37 AM
Spike

St. Bernards and Newfoundlands aren't really the best hunting dogs. It's going to be real hard to find a hunting dog of those breeds. Labs and Goldens make for great hunting dogs.