Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Pointing Labs

Old 09-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Spike

Default Pointing Labs

So I've been thinking about getting a GSP for pheasant hunting. That's what I do mostly and I'm thinking about getting into waterfowl too. I am now getting a little interested in pointing labs. I was wondering what your guys experience is with them. Are they worth it. Are they good pointing dogs. Ive only hunted over setters in the past and would prefer to stay with a dog that points and not flushes. thanks
Old 09-16-2013, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had PLs for over 13 years.
They don't handle the heat as well as a GSP, but they handle the cold better.
They aren't as fast as a GSP, but many times my dogs will find birds that GSPs have run past. The PL doesn't have quite as much endurance as a GSP, but good ones that are well conditioned will be plenty enough dog for the average hunter.
If you're going to get into waterfowling, the choice is simple --- PL all the way.
It's really nice to be able to go out for an early morning duck/goose hunt with a dog that can handle icy cold water and make fantastic retrieves -- and then later go out for upland hunting with the same dog.

If you have any questions, feel free to get ahold of me (names of breeders etc) and if you do end up with a PL, be sure to get the "PL Training bible" -- "Training the Pointing Labrador", by Julie Knutson. You can order it direct from their website at www.gunclub-labs.com/

Old 09-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

I have not owned Pointing Labs as long as Doc, but I do have 2 and would not want any other dog now. In the winter months, I guide on a local preserve and I routinely waterfowl hunt then turn right around a guide an upland hunt.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:26 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Dwallac ~ do check NAVHDA.org and train that GSP to do it all. Both upland and waterfowl.

JW
Old 09-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Spike

Thanks I have looked at the navhdav but I have always loved labs....thanksnfor all your input I'm going to have to check out that book thank you
Old 09-17-2013, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
Dwallac ~ do check NAVHDA.org and train that GSP to do it all. Both upland and waterfowl.

JW
JW
I don't know where you live, but Dwallac3 lives in IL.
He'll get a lot of icy water by the end of waterfowl season.
Although I've seen a few GSPs handle cold water, the majority certainly don't. A few might get the job done, but they won't enjoy doing it.

You can make some dogs do many things !
Having a dog Want to do all things is what a good dog does!

Last edited by Doc E; 09-17-2013 at 05:39 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:31 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I live in Wisconsin and see far more ice than occurs in IL during our duck seasons.

My comment was just an alternative idea if he wanted to use his current breed as I never intended to start a breed war here.

That sir, is what I meant - and your comment was offensive to me.

However - let's clear a bit up here.
It is all about desire - those dogs lacking desire will not do tasks asked of it, and desire is not breed specific.
Desire can be lacking in all breeds.

The OP wrote he owned a GSP and IL has a few NAVHDA chapters.

He likes the PL - hey great - go for it.

JW

Last edited by JW; 09-17-2013 at 12:23 PM.