Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Shed hunting dog?

Old 09-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shed hunting dog?

Do those training aids they sell at Bass Pro work for training dogs to search for sheds? Id like to train one of my dogs to hunt for sheds this spring but I'm not sure where to start.

I have a 7yr old Lab/Boxer mix with a great nose but he is my wives dog and doesn't listen and is very obstinate. Or... I have my 18 month old Great Dane that listens to me very well but is young and has the attention span of well.. a puppy.

I only have one shed, and the Great Dane is currently chewing on it.

Any tips?
Old 10-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Spike

I've never heard of a Great Dane as a shed hunting dog. I guess it's possible, though. I'd personally try out the Great Dane.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

If you're serious about having a shed dog, I'd strongly suggest getting a pup and starting the training early.. Labs are popular, but I think any dog that likes to retrieve (likes to pick up and carry things and has a good nose) will work. There are training DVD's out there...just do a search on Training dogs to hunt shed antlers and you should find them. If you don't have any antlers to use for training, beg, borrow or steal some.....or you can buy some off ebay...

Your two current dogs may work, but I'd guess it's a long shot. I use my Springers and I've used Chessies in the past.

Good Luck!
Old 10-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

I dont plan on being a "professional" by any means, but I always like going out and looking for sheds and Id figure I would take a dog and try and up my odds. I dont tend to have much success finding any. I figured it would come natural to a dog, I guess Im wrong?