Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
english lab vs american lab >

english lab vs american lab

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

english lab vs american lab

Old 07-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Spike

Default english lab vs american lab

im looking for a lab i want one with the big blocky head and with muscle i was wondering what kinda lab to get please help me
Old 07-29-2009, 06:08 PM

Frankly, I dont think eather english or american matter(I always buy american) just look at the breading and see if they have any pics of dogs they have bread in the past and see what kinds of characteristics they have and what they were used for. And I say this sparingly but dont buy a cheap dog. Know, I have bought a $250 dog and that dog was INCREDIBLY samert and had a great personality and was an amzing hunter. But chance are if you buy a higher price dog from a reutible breader then there is a better chance of getting a "good" dog, and one that is healthy, and smart. If you buy a cheap dog make doubley(if thats a word) that it is a smart dog and not a dummy. Trust me you can just tell sometimes when its the one and when its not, even if its a $500,000 doller dog(Idont even know if there is a dog that expensive)
Old 07-30-2009, 06:20 PM
Spike

The english labs have the blocky head and more muscle than the american labs.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard that the english have a better tendency to "point" in the uplands, & the american is more of a "flusher".
Old 07-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default labs

I have always heard the same thing about brit labs being bigger and blockier. I just got home from a guys house who is doing some training for me, he claims differently. He says there are two strains of british labs: one big and blocky, the other tall and lanky.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think english/american is even a factor. Price shouldn't matter either. I agree with a former poster that a $50.00 or a $1000.00 pup may or may not turn out to be the best dog you may ever own. Make sure you see the stud and the dam and their paper trail. I ALWAYS check the papers out on the Web and look for a reputable kennel in their breeding. Then and only then do I make a decision. Look at the Whole litter loose in the yard and go from there. My pup I am training now had (Mayo Kellog Kennel) South Dakota, In his blood line, they are pointing labs. I could see the pointing instinct in my pup from day one. If the Parents have the blocky head the pups probably will too. Do your home work and you will be glad you did.

Last edited by mr.mc54; 08-02-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default which lab?

for hunting upland in woods only AMERICAN SMALL LONG LEGGED LAB will work.keep the english labs for fox hunts in england during the robin hood days.

SPROUL HAS SPOKEN!
Old 08-05-2009, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the deal. What type of hunting do you plan on doing?? If its for upland game...then the American Lab would better suit you, since they are more elongated and slender. They were made for upland game hunting. English labs were bread for Duck Hunting, hence the big webbed paws, thick neck and strong muscular head and mouth. Not to say that either breed can do either job, they can. However one will wear out faster than the other.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TURKEY FAN
Here is the deal. What type of hunting do you plan on doing?? If its for upland game...then the American Lab would better suit you, since they are more elongated and slender. They were made for upland game hunting. English labs were bread for Duck Hunting, hence the big webbed paws, thick neck and strong muscular head and mouth. Not to say that either breed can do either job, they can. However one will wear out faster than the other.

go to head of class.............sproul has spoken.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

When you talk about big blocky heads you are referring to SHOW lines, generally referred to as "Pigadors" by those involved in hunting/performance. Not good if you want the best chance of getting a good dog for hunting/performance. Field Labs from both sides of the pond look the same. Though their temperament varies. Good luck in your decision.