Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
My Registered Lab got Bred by a pitbull please Help >

My Registered Lab got Bred by a pitbull please Help

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

My Registered Lab got Bred by a pitbull please Help

Old 07-22-2009, 01:27 AM
Spike

Default My Registered Lab got Bred by a pitbull please Help

well my Full blooded hunting dog chocolate Lab Kelbi 2 yr old, was in heat few mos ago. My young son let her out to use the bathroom she jumped the picket fence and got pregnant. Now she had a litter of 11 pups 9 males 2 females. and 3 have a white marking on their chest. there is a loose pitbull who is full black with white marking on his chest and tip of tail. i have 2 chocolate colored and the rest are black out of this litter. So im thinking more than likely he is the father. My female pup has the same white chest and tip on tail. now they are 14 days old and the look like Pits and labs im not sure if it is too early to tell though.
Now my ? is this i am keeping 2 of them the 2 chocolate ones. Will they be as good to hunt as their mother, does the pitbull in them change this. will they be able to swim as well etc? I searched on internet i cant find answer. they call them labrabulls. so anyone with advice please help william daughenbaugh
Old 07-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default pups

It is really just a fip of the coin weather you will get hunters or not. If they are some designer breed like you say, I assume you are going to sell/give them away. Those pups are really going to start dragging her down, with hunting season just around the corner you might think about getting rid of a few now. at the very least If I were you I would wean them at 6 weeks, that way you can get some weight on you jip and get her back in shape.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:04 AM
Spike

Thanks bird dog i was thinking the same thing. i usually hunt her in the wetlands here in northern illinois but this yr i might commit to the cornfield when the geese land into it to make it easier on her because she has had a hard time being her first litter and all. She is out of shape and lost alot of weight after the birth. thank you for your response.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:02 PM

A friend of mine has a Lab, Pit mix and he is an overall good dog. He was never trained to hunt but as far as general manners he is great. Since he has some Pit in him he is a little more protective of things but with proper training this can be avoided. I dont mean he attacks, but he barks, unless you are a child. If you are a child or under 4ft tall that dog will not only lick you to death but he would probable help you rob the house. So they can be good dog if trained, jst like any other dog, just be awair of the breed and whatch for any bad habbites that may be coming out. Good luck
Old 08-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have pit and they are one of the most loyal dogs you can get.Mine hunts birds,rabbits. Only prob they are a little over protective ,in my house NO One
looks at the wife ur kids wrong. she will use her big head and push them out of the way.